Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-07-2004 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber

Problem with Image planes

Hey Guys, new to maya and first time poster - so take it easy user added image

Just downloaded both the Shark free tut and the dragon's head tut by Izzy and Kurt respectivly to try and get some images planes running. Following the videos to the letter I've come across a strange problem

Using the shark image, and a NURBS plane. As you can (hopefully) see the 'before' half is really basic, a second instance of lambert has been set up. Its linked to the shark image file (as you can see with the blue sphere on the right). All well so far.

Now in the tut its a simple matter of selecting the nurbs plane then righclicking the edited shark lambert and "assign material to selection". But after doing this all maya seems to do is produce the 'after' screenshot. If its not clear all it does is lighten the nurbs plane and not actually assign any image to it.

But if you can see on the very bottom image, the Attribute for the NURBS plane say the image is assigned OK.

Maya comes up with no error messages, and seem to see all this as normal! But never from any angle assigns the actual image.

This applies to all the jpg's i have tried and also to poly planes.

Before anyone says, yes these collections of screenshots could be the lamest you have ever seen, but I've just rebuilt my machine and good old Adobe Photoshop hasnt been installed yet :p .

Hope someone can help out and explain whats going on.

BTW this site is great. All the admins and tutorial presenters do a ace job of teaching us novices the tricks of the trade - Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-07-2004 , 06:58 PM
I hesitate to make this suggestion at the risk of betraying my own stupidity, but I know I kept trying to apply images as a surface and they weren't showing...because I had my screen in the wrong rendering view- i.e. "4" is wireframe etc.

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
# 3 14-07-2004 , 06:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, press 6 for hardware texturing.

# 4 14-07-2004 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber
ahhhhhhhhhhh, man thats embarrassing! I could have sworn I tried all the views from 1 to 101 :p , hehehe funny really. Cheers guys!:p :p

Last edited by azimuth; 14-07-2004 at 07:20 PM.