Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-10-2004 , 04:38 AM

T-Rex from DVD

Finally I can make that T-Rex I've always wanted! user added image Thanks Kurt and SimplyMaya!

Ok, each "official post" I make here will be per-day I work on it, so you can see how it unfolds as I go. I'm going to try and refrain from posting screenshots unless it is that "end-of-day" update.

Here goes (Please give feedback on the geometry, as I am rather new to modeling. I tried to clean it up as much as possible, and ended up doing the hind leg by hand rather than using the Boolean), I just finished Part 2:

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.

Last edited by Exdaix; 02-10-2004 at 04:43 AM.
# 2 02-10-2004 , 04:41 AM
*Grumbles at the attachment for not working the first time*

Attached Images

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 3 02-10-2004 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber
Looks good to me, very clean i can only see one tri in the whole mess.

# 4 02-10-2004 , 05:42 PM
Ok, I fixed the triangle at the hind leg, and added another set of splits for a quad I missed. Other than that one, I only see a few triangles on the arm, but there are none where the arm connects to the body, so I'm happy with that.

# 5 02-10-2004 , 06:49 PM
Subscriber
I don't think anyone would of seen it anyway.

# 6 03-10-2004 , 07:18 AM
It's really late and I'm off to bed, but I figured I would make a quick update.

I started on the toes and got all 3 on the foot, and they are all joined and cleaned up. There's a few triangles on them, but it's not too bad. I'll start shaping the foot tomorrow/later today (it's 3AM right now, hehe), as I was rather busy today.

Last edited by Exdaix; 04-10-2004 at 02:50 AM.
# 7 04-10-2004 , 02:48 AM
Today I fixed up some more geometry, re-aligned all of the edge verticies to match the drawing, got the foot all proportionally correct with a semi-flat bottom and generally prettied it up, as well as smoothing most of the leg/thigh. I also messed around with the top jaw a bit, and worked on reshaping the tail slightly.

Hopefully I can get to the claws and eye tomorrow, but I have several classes, so we will see how far I get.

Oh, and I am done Part 3, just starting on Part 4.

Attached Images

Last edited by Exdaix; 04-10-2004 at 02:51 AM.
# 8 04-10-2004 , 12:59 PM
Looking great so far mate..... very clean...

Keep going=)...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 9 05-10-2004 , 04:49 AM
I'm just about finished Part 4, I just converted the T-Rex to Sub-D's before quitting for the night, and I must say, Sub-D's are AWSOME! I've never used them before, but man they seem so perfect for organic modeling, from what little I have experienced so far.

I still have to tweak the eye socket a little as Kurt does while in Sub-D's, but alas, I must sleep for the night so I can do laundry in the morning... yay, the life of a college student. user added image

Attached Images

# 10 07-10-2004 , 02:46 AM
Finished Part 4!

I love these Sub-D's! I love them so much!

Anyways, I got the eye socket tweaked a bit, I'm sure it needs more work, but I like it so far. Crits welcome for that! I also re-shaped the entire beast (again) since when I converted it to Sub-D's, it smoothed off the shape a bit. Everything is now again matching the drawing. I also played with the arm some more to try and get it shaped a little better but it's still gimped to no end. :p Haha, I'll have to smack that around for a while until it looks right. The side of the stomach has a slight crease that sticks out, I'll have to remove that soon.

Please crit on how it looks so far, this is basically my second time using Maya on a hard-core project, so I'm still learning as I go.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Exdaix; 07-10-2004 at 02:50 AM.
# 11 08-10-2004 , 04:42 AM
I tweaked the eye some more and added the beginnings of a brow, but after looking at what I have modeled and looking at some reference images I have now, I realized I am way off, so I will not be posting an image tonight as I feel ashamed. ;p Haha!

Hopefully my Jurassic Park DVDs will arrive soon so I can use it as reference to go along with the Dinosaur Icon site I re-discovered. (https://www.dinosauricon.com) (Use the Old site it's much better than the New one right now)

I've started to look for good orthographic drawings of T-Rex bones, if anyone knows of another dinosaur site that has some good ones, please share. The Dinosaur Icon site has a skeleton research area planned, but it has not been created for quite a long time.

# 12 09-10-2004 , 05:55 AM
Well, I have fixed the brow a bit, and added a ridge line from the brow to the nose area. Before I go any farther though, I need help... Somehow I goofed something up and now my T-Rex when in Sub-D mode shows the polygon edges around it even with "wireframe on shaded" disabled. Also, when I change anything like do a simple split polygon, it takes like 30 seconds for it to calculate the end result. Is there some way to delete whatever the heck I did like "Delete History"? (Which I've tried) I'm really stuck now and I'm really worried I killed my model. Theres got to be some way to make it go back to how it is supposed to behave... PLEASE HELP! I'm panicking right now... user added image :o

I can attach my .mb file (Maya 5 Unlim.) if needed. Here is an example of the polygon wireframe showing on top of my Sub-D shaded T-Rex when it shouldn't:

Attached Images

# 13 11-10-2004 , 01:02 AM
Someone? Anyone? Kurt? Please... anyone help...

I fear I will have to re-model the T-Rex if an answer to this problem cannot be found. (Which won't be too big of a deal since I just started to add detail, but I'd rather not have to do that)

# 14 11-10-2004 , 04:35 AM
it's done that to me before... i managed to shake it off by converting back and forth from subs to polys lots of times using certain different settings, like keeping original mesh and stuff like that... eventually sorted itself... think it's a bug in Maya 6...

# 15 11-10-2004 , 04:39 AM
Well I'm using Maya 5 right now, but I'll try converting it a lot of times with different settings to see if I can get it fixed... if not I'll have to take a trip to the 3D Animation Hall at my college and see if a professor can fix it. user added image

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to give an update soon as to my progress on fixing the problem/continuing my work soon, as I have a ton of school work to do right now.