Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-11-2004 , 02:20 PM

Another Female NURBS Body

I just started out at CG a few weeks ago (I just got out of High school and can't stand being idle so I've taken up a few hobbies. I already knew how to sketch pretty fairly but I wanted to aim for extreme realism. I've seen movies from Pixar like, "A Bug's life" and, "Finding Nemo" and I figured I want to do that too. ...Unfortunately The programs used to create these animation seem to be worth alot! So I obtained the MayaPLE and have been poking and stabbing here and there in it. I LOVE MAYA. Whoa!? Where'd that come from...? Anyway, After I taught myself the Cg lingo using the excellent help included I, filled to the brim with excitement and anticipation, descended upon my first project and discovered the true essence of Maya... It is 1,000,000,000.0009% problem solving and .0001% activity. I gasped for air and was pulled in. I've drawn up possibly hundreds of concept art to be modeled in Maya. My hands becoming red as I floated in heaven. Ok, I'm trying to create a seamless Nurbs female. I understand that, due to some kinks in the equation, it may be really complicated to Combine two surfaces. I have tried Filet blend tool and it works great! I was going to marry it when someone malevolently pointed out that you can't marry a script. (Meany!) I also realized that I should be glad I didn't marry it because it sometimes leaves tiny seams where, horrifiyingly enough, I find that someone has taken out my model's vital organs! I need help creating a seamless model of a female. O.o

# 2 28-11-2004 , 02:31 PM
Technical Director
Convert it to polys by going to Modify>Convert>NURBS to Polys>Option box. Choose control Points. Combine, and merge all the polys. Then just go to Modify>Convert>Polys to Subds. Then press 3. If you want to know more, watch the free cartoon dog tutorial.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 28-11-2004 , 02:45 PM
Thanks! I'll do that. I post the pic for you when it's done

# 4 28-11-2004 , 02:53 PM
Oh yea and by the way... Heres the NURBS model I was doing all last night. It might help for you guys to critique without decrimination. Just don't use any weapond from Unreal Tournament... They hurt.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 28-11-2004 , 03:00 PM

...Again

...And a 3/4 angle. I'm following peltra's advice real quick (but not quickly) and my next post may be within the next hour. I dread polys but if it does the job then...

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 28-11-2004 , 03:07 PM
..and a last look at the side

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 28-11-2004 , 05:52 PM
Ok, I just converted to subdiv from poly. being that I have very little experience in edited polygonal surfaces, I think I did ok. When I got to Subdiv however I was way out of my league. My beautiful, perfected body became a weird used circuit board look alike. any advice? Is this normal? Is it safe to convert back to NURBS?

# 8 28-11-2004 , 05:55 PM
...?

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 28-11-2004 , 08:40 PM
Subscriber
The model is technically pretty messy but you did a very good job of getting the shape. That's the hardest part actually. Learning 3d software is just learning a new tool.

If I were you I'd start by mastering polygon modelling. Subds are just an extension of polygons and Nurbs are more difficult technically. They can wait.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 10 28-11-2004 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
First thing, nice proportions. Uv come apart a bit when doing the conversion though. When u convert to polys u need to combine the legs to the body. then convert to sub-d's. Like peltra said download the free cartoon dog tutorial here at simplymaya to get a feel on how to use nurbs, polys, and sub-ds

# 11 28-11-2004 , 09:32 PM
erietz I'll follow up on that. Thanks

# 12 29-11-2004 , 03:27 PM
oh sorry Kerosene didn't see you, Thanks, I already have an idea what the human figure looks like because I love to draw. ...That and I had a nice asian (front and side) to use as a reference.The legs were combined when I converted.user added image I dont think I need help too much on the NURBS but it will help out on the polys and subdivision. Thx. again

# 13 30-11-2004 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
They were combined when you converted? Or are you saying they had already been combined when you converted to SubD in that picture?

# 14 30-11-2004 , 05:14 PM
I combined the surfaces after converting to polygons. Then converted to Subdiv.

# 15 01-12-2004 , 12:14 AM

THANKS!

THANKS GUYS!!! The cartoon dog tuturial really helped...alot! I'm getting greedy to start on more projects too!! Thanks!