Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-01-2005 , 01:24 AM

Animating

Well hello all - me back again for a while user added image

I was soooo busy with work that I did not have much time to work on my 3D project. but now I have some free time ..

So..my question is short: Does anybody know /have tutorials on how to animate (rigging and animate) object like chess pieces, tables - to give them a more characteristic feel, as they are human like ?

The Important Thing is NOT to Stop Questioning.
--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk
# 2 10-01-2005 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
I don't think i'd rig them. I'd just use blendshapes to give them animated features like eyebrows. I'd also make sure pieces like the king and queen hold their heads high. With chess pieces i think alot of character could come from the way they move around the board, e.g. the queen would move slow and elagantly while knights would bound about with speed.

# 3 10-01-2005 , 09:19 PM
Blendshapes is a good choice but dont forget about simple joints nothing complex easy to move about as well as pose with minimal weight or deformer work.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 11-01-2005 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
These chess pieces, are they just standard shapes like from a kids toy shop or do they have faces like the expensive ceramic sets you find?

# 5 11-01-2005 , 03:07 PM
just standard checc pieces created with poly..

--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk
# 6 11-01-2005 , 03:08 PM
what does blendshape do exactly ?

--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk
# 7 11-01-2005 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
you take your model, duplicate it and then remodel parts of it how you would want you model to look like when giving an expresion. You can then select the two and create what's called a blendshape. This will create a slider you can move that will blend your model between poses.

# 8 11-01-2005 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
btw, i think Kurts "Lip Sync" tut deals with blendshapes, but i'm not sure so check first.

# 9 12-01-2005 , 07:10 AM
As always this forum is a great help, tnx all :-)
Going to see what I can do with this blendshape

--- Albert Einstein ---
www.ProtheusWorld.tk