Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 08-02-2005 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by InvaZimm
Sparaig,

I like your suggestion. Tho my only concern is how to combine it with the setup I currently have. Since the buildings are placed at a plane's verts, it suggests that at least 4 faces are used. These faces can be found using the polyInfo command.

However, the problem that occurred to me, is that some of the buildings are wider than 4 faces. This being the case I'm having trouble expanding from the vert and face information easily provided. Is there a way to expand the polyInfo command or is there a command that I have over looked that can do this as well? Would be a lot nicer if you could pick walk with verts.

Use the bounding box to describe the area that the building takes up. Round upwards to the nearest integer, and use the scheme I suggested before. Very few buildings end up right next to each other anyway, so you might want to allow for a sidewalk-sized space between each building by making sure your bounding box is +1 unit (or whatever) in width and length

If you only want sidewalks in certain directions, only add 1 along that border. You can pre-define streets by pre-placing them in the arrays. Ditto with parks, vacant lots and maybe with sidewalks for better control.

# 17 08-02-2005 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
Wow, looking at this thread I feel like I'm illiterate... How long does it take to get comfortable with MEL. I'm not a programmer.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 18 08-02-2005 , 06:55 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mhcannon
Wow, looking at this thread I feel like I'm illiterate... How long does it take to get comfortable with MEL. I'm not a programmer.

This isn't really MEL stuff but regular game programming and mapping stuff that applies to what he's trying to do. There's plenty of discussion of how all this kind of stuff works. A good place to start would be:

https://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/.../gameprog.html

or the rec.games.programmer newsgroup.

# 19 09-02-2005 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
Sparaig,

Thanks for the link. It's an interesting read. After that I really need to get my mind back into a programming/ technical mindset. I think I'm going to try your suggestion earlier with the arrays.

The only current problem that's raisin a set of big downers, is the whole street concept. I had originally come up with a technique of cutting up the plain with elongated cubes so that the faces and verts wouldn't be useable when placing the buildings. However, booleans are not a very reliable tool and just aren't going to work.

The better idea that I thought of awhile ago, is to use an image template. Tho that arises the problem that Maya does not have the capability to check the color value at the specified vert. Now these are causing me major trouble. Anyone have any ideas, that would be great.

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 20 09-02-2005 , 04:42 PM
I really don't think you need to do it at the vert. If you are going to use the colour map then use the colours there and screw the verts. It would work just as well.

The idea about the booleans would probably work just as well. You could then layout the city just as you want. https://www.schloerb.com/tutorial/greeblecity_1.htm that might help as far as doing the city layout goes.

Just thinking this would be a cool mel tutorial to do. I may have a crack at this myself user added image

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 21 09-02-2005 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
Alan,

That link is diffinitely something. Gives a few possible techniques to try. Tho the one of the main things I was trying to do, was to have the plain and street layout be created by the tool as well. One less thing for the user to have to do. Tho, I think my mind was going for the hardest but best outcome.

The boolean idea was going alright. The only problem is that many times using a boolean on a polygon causes there to be no resulting shape, although the outliner says there is one. The shape dissappears and contains no information. It would be easier if it the amount of times a boolean is done on the object wasn't so random. Sometimes it dissappears after one try, others it can range up 8 or 10.

The only reason why I was thinking about using verts to palce the buildings down, was by using to the pointPosition command to get the exact location of the vert in world space so that I could place the building exactly there.

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein