Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-02-2005 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber

Clusters problem

I'm doing a tutorial at this link:
link

Now, I have a problem with clusters. As you see at that page, there are 2 cilinders, that reprisents 2 bones, and those will drive musle (bicep). Then, it says, that I have to parent upper cluster to the top of the upper bone ( top of the humerus), middle Cluster to the middle of the humerus, and bottom Cluster to slightly below the top of the radius bone. Now, those cilidrical shapes (humerus and radius) are polygonal models. So, the only way to to this I thought was to parent Cluster to vertecies, but it doesn't want to do that. So, How do I parent cluster to the specefic area of the polygonal model?
Tnx!

# 2 09-02-2005 , 08:27 AM
very strange tutorial, usual method is to bind the arm to the joints and then use blend shaped muscle shapes to drive the skin. But if you want to know, you can bind skin to the "bones" by a wrap deformer then just paint weights as you wish user added image.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 09-02-2005 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber
Ok, first of all, thnx for helping!
Hmm,I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. So first I (smooth) bind geometry (like arm) to the skeleton (joints). Then you say I use Blendshape muscle shapes to drive the skin. Can you just shortly explain a bit this part? What exactly do you mean by "blendshape muscle"? How do I do this? And when I apply wrap deformer, do I select the skin and then only the object, that will represent muscle object and apply wrap?

Tnx again for help, and sorry, but I'm a still a noob when it comes to animation.

--edited--
ok, I just cant figure out how to attach muscle to the bones.
here another link:
link

You see first picture? How do I do that the muscle is somehow conected to the bones, so if you move bones, the muscle will move also?

--edited #2--
Ok, I've solved the problem with parenting. Instead of ordinary parent I had to use constraint parent.

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 09-02-2005 at 03:04 PM.
# 4 09-02-2005 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
Now I have solved the problem with parenting , but it looks like i make something wrong when binding. The arm geometry now work well, it deforms in the area where biceps are, but the problem now is, that arm geometry an biceps doesn't move with the skeleton. Damn, this just doesn't want to work corectly. user added image