Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-05-2005 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber

MechTut

Hi Kurt,

Just want to let you know that your MechTut works great (see the pictures). This is my first tut/model apart from some very basic ones on the internet. I'm new to Maya and must say it's a fantastic software and probably take a lifetime to learn! But I give a da.. This is pure fun!
I've just started the MechTexture tut . UV-mapping hmm there will be a lot of clicking. I'll post some pictures when I'm ready in a couple of years, he he.

regards,
AkeWest

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-05-2005 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
another picture

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 26-05-2005 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
and another

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 26-05-2005 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
the last one
I'm new to this maby you can post more than one picture per message?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 07-06-2005 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
Hi,
For my sake I consider the Mech as finished. The texture tut has been a facinating journey through UV points and Photoshop. To paint the map by yourself I find it not so easy as an artist like Kurt he make it löök simple. But I think with Maya in general it's practice, practice, practice and a lot of patiens. I'm facinated how you can scale down all the pieces in the UV map it's a fantastic precision in Maya. The modeling and texture tuts has learned me a lot but still a long way to go, so my next step on that road will be the Apache project which also includes rigging and animation.
take care
AkeWest

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 07-06-2005 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
another angle

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 07-06-2005 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
and finaly the UV map

Attached Images
# 8 07-06-2005 , 12:10 PM
Very nice... the model and textures came out really well.. great job.....

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 9 07-06-2005 , 08:48 PM
Phew! That's amazing!!! I think I'm going to have to go buy some points now! Here, have a root beer. user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 10 07-06-2005 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
Kurt and Shadeblade,

Thank's for your nice words, they warms.

# 11 09-06-2005 , 12:05 PM
Subscriber
Good work. I have a bad habit of not finishing tutorials. After buying 3 of the texturing tutorials for that mech, and being prsented with an hour of silent face clicking, I decided to look elsewhere for my UV knowledge.

Would you say that you know how to texture now, and understand what was going on? I didn't have the patience to sit and watch him do the tedious UV mapping, and I didn't really understand *why* he was doing it, just that he was doing it. That doesn't help me learn how to do it on my own later.

Regardless, your model looks great. Good work.

# 12 10-06-2005 , 02:55 PM
Subscriber
Hi oroborous,

Yes, UV mapping is tedious and patience is a must.
I believe I understand UV mapping due to the tutorial,
at least so I can go on on my own.

What I found important is that you realy have your vertices in level in the different planes using scale (top,side,front).
UV thats 2D so you have to think 2D, that is after the planar or cirkular mapping some vertices are hidden behind others and it could be several and you have to drag them up or down to see the next layer and you go on to the last one. Basically you have to see every vertice in the UV map actually UV points.

So in the bottomline I could grab some blueprints from internet like StarWars there's a lot of them. My knowledge from the mechtuts will be enough to make a desent model. I'm gonna do that but first I will go through the Apache project. I've already started I'm on part 4)

thank's for your nice words

AkeWest