Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 05-06-2005 , 09:10 AM

polygons to subdiv problem

hey, ive run into this problem a few times and still aren't sure whats wrong. It happened in the cartoon dog tutorial and this model im working on at the moment.
What im doing is, making half the model, duplicating it, and then just merging 'all' the verticies manuelly (if theres a better way than this i'd like to knowuser added image ) It also happened when i was just editing the head of my new model (in polygon mode) then i converted to subdivs. it made me 'clean up' the polygon, so i did that, converted, and this happened:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-06-2005 , 09:11 AM
sorry, i dont know how to put 2 images in one post, here is what it looked like after the convert, any ideas on whats goin wrong?

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 05-06-2005 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
bad geometry. Looks like you have open edges in there. In the display menu, turn on show polygon components, edges. If you see thick lines in the middle of model, you have open edges. Use the merge edge or merge vertices to correct.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."