Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-06-2005 , 01:36 AM

textures - blend issues

I've built a char, he's complete in the model, blended the head in subdiv form, changed everything to polys, attatched head to body...just painted him up using hte automatic mapping.

now in the rendering for begining maya(learning maya 6 rendering p. 58), it warns that textures done this way run the risk of scattering in unpredictable ways if the mesh is deformed at all. And mine does as it has facial blends.

I'm trialing it as I go along each time i finish up the texture, i crank up the blend(such as eyebrows). naturally, the texture crawls and does funky stuff.

the options from the book that I've tried are

-creating a texure reference object.. doesn't work

-convrt to file textures...also doesn't work

:headbang:

tried searching on here for specific threads about this but the search turned up too many obscure requests.. arg

still trialing things. I'll keep you updated if I find the answer.. but if anyone has the easy solution,please~ let me know :bow:

I've never tried this painting in maya thing.. in fact im a bit out of touch with the hypershade since maya 1.0..

# 2 10-06-2005 , 07:03 AM
ah hah
reference object didn't work becuase it has to be applied prior to deformation(thus doesn't work on preblended surfaces such as heads)

new plan

did some tests with simple subdiv spheres

seems if i texture the base head first while in subdiv form, copy it,

reblend those new faces to my old, delete history,

convert alltogether into polys, relink the blends,
(or just blend before turning into polys)

reattach head to (pre painted) body,

so far, so good

my original mistake was painting the polys after attaching head. should have just painted body and head in subdiv form prior to even turning into polys..

now the next hurdle: how will this react to bones~?!

# 3 10-06-2005 , 07:08 AM
it worked :attn:

why did I post here ? lol!