Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-06-2005 , 04:53 PM

refraction

I'm trying to create a bullett time effect with water, and for the most part I've got everything working the way I want. However, I'm trying to add some refraction to my water, but whenever I turn it on in the shader, my whole object goes opaque. Is there a trick to getting refraction to work? I'm sure it's something simple, but I can't find it. Yes, I have raytracing turned on in the render globals.

Thanks.

# 2 29-06-2005 , 06:17 PM
Make sure refractions are turn on in the render globals under "refraction" tab.

Also, make sure the values for refraction and refraction are relatively high (e.i. 10). Basically, these values specify how many surfaces a ray can pass. If some parts of your model still look black/opaque try increasing these values.

# 3 29-06-2005 , 06:31 PM
Make sure refractions are turn on in the render globals under "refraction" tab.

Where is that? I don't have a refraction tab in my render globals. All I have is a Raytracing tab with a refractions slider and that's turned on. I tried setting both the render globals and shader refraction settings to 10, 20, 40, and even 100 but it's still opaque.

Last edited by Dann; 29-06-2005 at 06:35 PM.
# 4 29-06-2005 , 06:39 PM
oops, sorry, I meant the "raytracing tab."

Are you using a regular maya shader with transparency and raytracing on?

Could you post an image of the problem and describe the shader (or post an image of the attribute editor)?

# 5 29-06-2005 , 06:56 PM
Yes, it's a Maya Shader.

Yes, transparency is on.

Yes, raytracing is on.

I've tried Maya software and Mental Ray.

Has anyone ever gotten refraction to work in Maya 6? In fact, I issiue a challenge for anyone to show me a working Maya file with refraction because I don't believe it works.

Attached Images
# 6 29-06-2005 , 11:17 PM
Hmm, I guess refraction in Maya is a myth.