Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-09-2005 , 10:51 PM

The discovery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a project I am doing for school. It is of a crashed alien ship in a rain forest. The ship will have alien writing on the side. I have not started the textures for the ship yet. I want it to have a feel that it has been there for a long time. Probably will not have rust because of the material for the hull of the ship is very non corosive. The soft interior is almost all but gone by now.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-09-2005 , 11:44 PM
I like it , but the base of the trees look a bit strange. Otherwise, it's amazing. (I liked your glock!).

# 3 06-09-2005 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
Hmm, i like it. It reminds me of those swamp levels on halo 2. God I love that game.

# 4 06-09-2005 , 01:11 AM
RupertFaraway, thanks. I will look into those. I am glad you like the Glock. alienscience, I always loved the Halo look and feel. Did not mean any resemblance but that has always been a love so I am sure in one way or another it will come out. Thanks.

# 5 10-09-2005 , 10:21 PM
Here is an update. It has been a while.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 10-09-2005 , 10:54 PM
This is gorgeous so far. Nice work, Rick!

Dave

# 7 11-09-2005 , 05:50 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by alienscience
Hmm, i like it. It reminds me of those swamp levels on halo 2. God I love that game.

Just what i thought as soon as i saw it.. very good..

# 8 11-09-2005 , 05:12 PM
swankymonkey, Thanks. pixiekiller, haha thanks. maybe I should replay that level.

# 9 11-09-2005 , 07:33 PM
Subscriber
well to be honest i was thinking of Halo 1,,but i have to say
"i am Jealous"
Very jealous!..nice use of lighting as well

# 10 11-09-2005 , 09:41 PM
Banned
damit your good, should have put this in the previous competition u would have had such a good chance of winning
Nice job!

# 11 12-09-2005 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
Love it, do you mind telling us how you did the tree and fernes. Are they paint effects? I gathered you modeled the creaper going up the side of the ship?

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 12 12-09-2005 , 01:44 AM
pixiekiller, Thanks
meredith, Thanks. It was for school but I should check on the compitions and maybe try to kill two birds with one stone next time.
antiant

, It is all modelled. The lower ferns are modelled leaves that were texture mapped. I then duplicated them along the stalk. The taller ferns in the distance are planes with an image map and transparency shaders. You can tell if you look in the shadows but sense it is not obvious I am prpably not going to fix them. The distant trees are extrudes for the branches and then the leafs are modelled and duplicated around. I am glad you like it. Paint fx do not render with mental ray and when you convert them to polies, It is poly overkill so I had to find another way to do it.

# 13 12-09-2005 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the info. Im going to be doing a scene shortly with quite a bit of greenery. And im never happy with paint effects, and im even more dissapointed once they are converted to poly user added image well, i dont think anyone would ever notice that shadows arnt being cast by those trees at the back, becuase the scene is heavy. Which is an advantage to you.

Cheers.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.