Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-09-2005 , 05:26 PM

fatal error causing total system freeze!

ok....

I can build a model with no problems untill suddenly i will select an edge, or a vector and the system will trip, asthough the cpu is working, then it will dong at me and then it will freeze completely requireing a total reboot, it seems to happen more while i'm in edge mode or vector mode... i'm running maya 6.5, i had no problems whatsoever with 5 but this problem is so annoying its stopping me modeling completely. thanks to anyone in advance if they have any suggestions that may be of help!

Andy

# 2 09-09-2005 , 05:07 AM
From what I've seen at our facility, 6.5 was riddled with bugs. Also, unless you're taking advantage of the updates in Mental Ray, it's a complete waste of time. I would go back to version 6 if you can or update to version 7.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 09-09-2005 , 09:15 PM
ok...

well this is the thing, i decided to go back to maya 5, i figured that i could model in that, to keep myself learning, and just stick to things without hair, blah blah blah, anyway, i stared out, fine, no problems, then all of a sudden, the same thing , computer crashes, this never used to happen, incidentally, i've reinstalled a fresh with a new computer, could it be a conflict or an incompatability with the video card do you think? its very annoying and its stopping me progressing, i've just spent loads of money on a better system purely so i can throw myself into 3D animation and it seems i can't (holds back tears) if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful, and thank yuou for your reply aswell, anything helps....

Andy

# 4 10-09-2005 , 03:18 AM
Some system specs would help.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 5 11-09-2005 , 09:06 PM
running an AMD clawhammer 3700 socket 754 on an asus K8N mother board, 2 gig of 400hz memory and a hercules 3D profit 9200 video card in the AGP slot. running XP professional with all current updates...

also is there a reccomended graphics card i could be looking out for? i'm new to hardware right now so i'm sort of learning on the fly, thanks for the help though once again...

Andy

# 6 12-09-2005 , 06:43 AM
Well, first thing I would do is check the compatibility of your video card with Maya. I'm not familiar with the Hercules line. Here's a link to Alias' compatibility chart for Maya 5.0. Look to see if your card is listed or if it has any problems.

https://www.alias.com/eng/support/may...ya_50_win.html

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 12-09-2005 , 08:46 PM
ok, checked it out, hecules is some kind of spurious make i gather, but it uses an ATI driver, i'm not sure but if i use a reccomended driver will it, or should it work with the card if it is designed to run ATI drivers?? i find it rathewr baffling that it has always worked and has only recently decided to hiccup like this, could it be that some kind of update i've made to the computer ie, a service pack or a direct x update could have caused some sort of conflict or just simply doesn't like my graphics card?? thanks once agin for your ongoing help!

Andy

# 8 13-09-2005 , 04:22 AM
I've read somewhere that someone installed the latest drivers and is was having some problems with his card as well. He was given a link to some other drivers and after he installed them. It's possible that the latest drivers are not compatible with Maya. I'll see if I can find that post and send you to the proper drivers for your card.

Regarding the help... No problem. That's what I'm here for. user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu