Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-10-2005 , 07:56 PM

having trouble making x-ray hotkey

Hi all,

I cant seem to find the x-ray category under lighting and shading in the hotkey prefrence editor.

Then I looking through all the categorys.........and still no luck, i guessing I just cant see it even though its there.

Can some please help

Thanks

mmmmm........delicious
# 2 12-10-2005 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
You have to create that hot key with MEL script. If you look in the download section of SM you will find the code for that hot key(or you can search the internet). But either way you'll have to make (or find on the internet) a hot key label because the default labek will just read MEL ( i.e. instead of a colored pictured icon)

# 3 12-10-2005 , 09:09 PM
Thanks porter for your help,

ok ive downloaded the x-ray file (im kinda new to this so bare with me) but where do i put the file and how do i get it on my self so i can use it??

please help

Thanks

mmmmm........delicious
# 4 13-10-2005 , 05:07 AM
Was looking in the wrong place.

But I found the answer to my question, by searching under mel scripts, dannyngan website had a scirpt that works.

I tried the simply maya one but couldnt get it to work.

mmmmm........delicious
# 5 13-10-2005 , 07:51 AM
a general way to find out yourself would be to look into the Script Editor. first goto Edit and choose Clear All to have all nice and clean. then you check under the Script tab -> Echo All Commands. Script Editor would show something like -

editMenuUpdate MayaWindow|mainEditMenu;

next you toggle on X-Ray in the shading tab. Script Editor will show something like -

modelEditor -e -xray 1 modelPanel4;
// Result: modelPanel4 //

if toggled off -

modelEditor -e -xray 0 modelPanel4;
// Result: modelPanel4 //

important for you would be 2 lines of mel-

modelEditor -e -xray 1 modelPanel4;
modelEditor -e -xray 0 modelPanel4;

1st line = 1 = on
2nd line = 0 = off

just copy both lines to the shelf and you have created your own buttons within a minute. you could also create a marking menu and throw those little buttons into. use the sript Editor! it can save you tons of time for simple stuff like that.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by Falott; 13-10-2005 at 07:55 AM.