Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-12-2005 , 06:53 PM

Nurbs and Curves Things

While learning to work with curves and nurbs I often get confronted with the same problems. everybody is invited to post his/her questions concerning nurbs/curves here too - as well as answers of course!

first one:

in many cases I want to "curveSnap" create a new curve by holding down "c". the fist anchorpoint isn´t created right along the curve I want to snap it to but somehow on an invisible curve right next to it. I drew a dotted line to show the invisible path.

it has nothing to do with construction history, and it has nothing to do with hidden curves or isoparms or other geometry.

what is the problem here?

Attached Images

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 05-12-2005 , 07:17 PM
next question:

How can I use a "curve on surface" to detach the surface it is projected to exactly along this curve?

------
edit

more precisely said: projecting a curve on surface and trimming away one side of geometry isn´t a prob. but if I project a curve on a allready trimmed surface the surface cannot be trimmed again. also i found no way to trimm a surface after creating a circular fillet with "create curve on surface" checked.

SE says: Warning: Trim: changed to keep originals on; curves on surface have construction history with the dependency on the surface itself.

after deleting history on the circular fillet the 2 surfaces I want to trimm don´t even get highlighted anymore..

Last edited by Falott; 05-12-2005 at 07:37 PM.
# 3 05-12-2005 , 08:20 PM
The Maya Mountain
make sure that your displayed nurbs model is at its highest detail setting (press 3 on the keyboard). It's possible that the snap to curve function is referencing the "actual" curve rather than the lower detail displayed curve.

Possibly.

It should be noted that trimming a nurbs surface is not the same as detaching. You are, in essence, creating a type of transparancy of the surface that makes it appear as if the trimmed area is no longer there, but if you were to go into, say, edit CV mode, you'd see the surface's completed CVs in place.

It's been so long since I've used nurbs I'm afraid I can't answer the 2nd question, but good luck.

# 4 05-12-2005 , 10:08 PM
Mike, you were absolutely right with the smoothness. this has been bugging me for a long time now.

thx a lot!