Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-11-2005 , 11:10 PM

mental-ray and render-passes ??

hi folks. i have just finished a scene, where i have a glass get filled with a liquid and then get pushed by a ball and fall down to let the liquid splash out of it. but i have a very big problem now, because i want to separate my rendering from mental ray into 2 passes: one for everything except the refractions created by the dielectric and one for those refractions except everything other. i use maya version 7 and i have only found the render-layers which are absolutely not what i need. i have checked the render-options and so many windows, but i cannot find a possibility to get my refractions into a seperate pass.

so please: can you help me out with that ?? how can i render my refractions from the liquid in a separate pass so that i'm able to composite them back into the rest of my image and add some blurries (which otherwise would cause the rendertime to explode) ?? please help me !!! it would be very great if someone has a solution for this problem.

many greets
s2k

illuminate ... and wait
# 2 15-11-2005 , 07:03 AM
19 year Veteran
I believe ( but not totally shure ) you have to use a Mental Ray render buffer to render out in seperate passes. Visit this forum for info. Beware, you will have to search for it. Hope this helps out.Linkage