Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 09-01-2006 , 07:46 PM
Subscriber

quote:Furthermore, using no decay with its intensity set above 0.75 seems creates sharp hot spots as well but doesn't illuminate the room correctly. So I came up with a solution. Put a linear decay light inside the ligh fixture, and place a normal point light below the light fixture with no decay and its intensity set to a much lower value. This works with bigger rooms but it doesn't seem to work with smaller rooms.

To clear your confusion in this quote, yes I was first having problems with a light burning into a wall. However, after I came back to reply from my first reply by falott, I mentioned that I wasn't using mental ray, but then I didn't get much of an answer before you had posted your first reply. So I gave up on that project. Then you replied with your table explaination which I thought was very clear. Nevertheless, your next reply started to talk about lighting indoor scenes using outdoor lights. I got a llittle confused with that but on the other hand I never said whether if I was looking for relistic effects or not because I did say that my 3d bar with a pool table was goiing to be a game, and I thought that when here the word "game" you start thinking about that lighting effects are not as realistic as doing a scene shot. In addition, you also should know that some 3d engines, like shockwave, don't support raytracing as well as not being capible of supporting shadows. If that is the case, and you want these effects, then you would need to bake them into your scene.

I must say, in order to be sure of my understanding, that this particular explanation from you, is precisely what I tried to point out with this ...

quote:Originally posted by Pyrus
If you use SoftRenderer, play around with LightLinkings: whatever object or light-centric, it depends only on the way you understand things.
Then you'll have the control you want

I still feel convinced light-linking is your solution.

... and I absolutely agree with you there. However, I just never got into because I am still concerend with basic lighting. I just started to learn about how light bounces, and you have to think about the colors you are using. On the other hand, what I don't understand is if I have beige walls with dark brown rugs, then what colors should I be ising for the bounced lights? In addition, to make things more complicted, what if you have tiled floors, and tiled wall paper. Basically, eventhough I am not looking for realistic, you still need to understand about bounced light because just putting a light bulb in the lamp will just not do when it comes to CG.

A question to fix what you would do : would your pool room have some lights like this ?

No, I was more looking for a night club effect, where it is so dark it looks like the room is lit by a bunch of candle lights just like how it is dark in the last picture with that monster in the middle of the scene. In fact, IMHO, I think that the scene doesn't look real at all, but it sure looks pretty cool.

# 17 12-01-2006 , 10:42 PM
Subscriber
I thought I'd give an update on mar scene. It still has a lot of work that needs to be done. but it's a start P.S. this is not a render. It is just a screen shot becuse the room is to dark to see.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by junkyBob; 12-01-2006 at 10:44 PM.