Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-01-2006 , 06:14 PM

VERY NEWBIE seperating objects of an imported obj. file

I'm sure it's really easy, though I've never worked with imported files until now. I don't know how to seperate objects that are fused together during import. Can anyone help?

I imported a football helmet and I need to seperate the face mask from the actual helmet?

Last edited by Hubbard; 18-01-2006 at 06:17 PM.
# 2 18-01-2006 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
Select the helmet and turn on face mode, select all the faces of the facemask. Once all selected go to edit polygons----detatch.. That will turn all the selected faces into it's own object.

# 3 18-01-2006 , 09:17 PM
There are so many faces though, it's tough to select all the faces that are right next to the helmet.

Here's a screenshot.

https://craighubbard.com/HELP/helmet2.jpg

I also wanna texture the padding inside the helmet seperately.

Any ideas?

# 4 18-01-2006 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
Nobody said is was gonna be easy user added image

As for texturing you don't have to have seperate objects, just make seams in the uv's and you should be set...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 5 18-01-2006 , 09:39 PM
Haha, true.

Thanks for the help guys.

# 6 19-01-2006 , 05:04 AM
Check out all the selection constraints under the EDIT POLYGONS>SELECTION menu. There you'll find an option to selct a shell. This will allow you to select all connected faces. Unless the face mask is actually connected to the helmet. Give it a try! You can get a cool default pop up menu in the UV texture editor too by hitting crtl+RMB.

I've made a handy little button for it on my shelf.user added image

Dave

# 7 19-01-2006 , 06:51 AM
S. Monkey, selection constraints worked PERFECTLY.

Thanks man!