Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-04-2006 , 01:32 PM
Subscriber

Returning to Maya

Hi all,

Just thought I would say hello, I have decided to crack on with Maya after a long long spell away due to job/family etc never leaving any real time to concentrate.

Anyhow I thought I might as well brush up on things of late and start again from scratch with some general modeling tutorials etc, not forgotten too much I think but I feel the best way is to get the refreshers done etc... Going to take a crack at the little puppy tutorial to clear the dust off my wacom tablet lol...

anyway here are 2 shots of the start of the head..

Ugh lost an image at imageshack , nevermind..

user added image

Here is it a bit further on..

user added image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S

Btw nice to see all the welcomes user added image 6 views and not even a simple hello,,, nice!!! user added image

Btw is there a simple way to restore the pivot point handles? tried everything and when I group some items and freeze transform then hit INSERT, I get nothing showing on the pivot points.. Tried keyboard messing with key locks etc but all the cursor does is flash and I see none of the points.. Read a bit too but nothing to enlighten me on if im not seeing them at all..

Thanks in advance..

James..

Edit - nevermind sorted it,,

user added image

Last edited by moosenoodles; 22-04-2006 at 07:28 PM.
# 2 22-04-2006 , 07:27 PM
hi
the models lookin nice, but im not too sure about the pivot problems, if you want them all to have their centre pivots then you can go to Modify - Centre Pivot after youve grouped the objects.

hope that helps and keep posting the updates to the model

user added image

# 3 22-04-2006 , 07:31 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude,

Dude dont be like that, everyone is welcome here, its just that nobody says it as such...but welcome anyway and enjoy!!

Any work needs to go in the WIP section of the forum. That way you can get proper crit from any member(s) They are good guys and girls there, if you are good you may get the occasional, AWSOME!!

Jay

# 4 22-04-2006 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
Hehe , it was tongue in cheek about the no HI bit user added image

but thanks for the feedback on that issue,,, hmmm Am I able to move this thread then to another forum, or does a moderator have to do this?

The pivot thing i seemed to of sorted btw, being so rusty Im pretty washed out with ideas when fixing problems in maya off the top of my head these days, old age that is hehe.. Some reason selecting the 2 legs and ear while in rotate tool mode seemed to of done the trick, no idea why but there u go lol..

Anyway thanks for the welcome user added image Ill go now and stitch its limbs on lol, that should be amsuing, i recall that if ur models vertices have a pretty lame layout there can be alot of swearing trying to merge the right ones user added image

All the best,

James..

# 5 22-04-2006 , 08:02 PM
Contact the mod for this forum, which I believe is Nitroliq, he'll be able to do it..

Jay

# 6 24-04-2006 , 04:23 PM
great work moosenoodles - your dog is looking very good so far. You might want to watch out for the size of the images that you post. I don't think that they should be any bigger than 640 x 480.

user added image

# 7 24-04-2006 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
Yeah sorry about the size of the images, will make sure in future they are smaller.

I got the dog as good as done, but I did my last union and maya crashed..? no idea why most odd. And I was so indeep of concentration that yeah you guessed it I forgot to save recently lol.. Not to worry its pretty easy to redo.. I do have a bit of a problem with another tutorial Im doing, but its not from this site i believe, but it is a maya dvd training pack.

What are the rules here for asking for modeling help/information about anything not hosted from this site? Thought I would ask first incase its not the done thing.. If all is ok to ask I have the image ready, and what I have done so far to try to rectify it without any joy...

Cheers,

James..

# 8 24-04-2006 , 06:50 PM
Images this size are okay as long as you are using an external server

Jay

# 9 24-04-2006 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
Hey Jay,

Nice compilation of work on your site, like the idea btw...

Well ill post some links then instead, to my problem with this pipe im bending..

Pinching - can not get rid of it...

https://img89.imageshack.us/img89/699...60124346ur.jpg

What I have tried > Its a nurbs cylinder with 8 sections/10 spans as per tutorial, select object mode is vertices, as per tutorial. Select one span of vertices or 2 etc and use the move tool to bend the pipe up and out etc etc...

I end up with pinching and discolouration, the tutorial dvd does not show any pinching... Ive never had this when I used to do pipe work so im unsure why I am now..

Im in selection 3 mode for the wireframe and then 5 for shading.

Here it is again also showing shading options, I have tried altering the general prefs/nurbs shader definition slider from default 4 to 8 etc to see if I can see any changes, but nothing.

https://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2...62305508ob.jpg

Any ideas why, the instructors pipe in perpective mode etc does not show that horridness user added image and I really dislike modeling like that as it gives such a bad representation of what you are doing..

Here is the tutors pipe. As you see its not even showing any stress at all, but ive got exact object specs as he has.

https://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tutors5il.jpg

Any info/sudgestions really really appreciated...

James...

# 10 24-04-2006 , 07:53 PM
Moose Noodles

Thanks. Why dont you make a new thread at the WiP section now instead of keep adding to this...

I'll speak to David to get it moved

Jay

# 11 24-04-2006 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
I private messaged the moderator to move the thread but its not happened yet, sorry...

# 12 24-04-2006 , 08:51 PM
Hey..the model looks nice so far. But could you post smaller images next time?^^