Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-04-2006 , 12:21 AM

texturing an instance

Hi all,
I have pretty much completed a model I was working on. It is symetrical, so I decided to save memory and space and instanced it instead of mirror. Now I'm working towards texturing. When I apply texture to one side, it will not texture the "instanced" side. Even if I select the instanced side, it only textures the original. Can this be done or am I out of luck?
Thanks,
-- Dan

-- dvnobles
# 2 25-04-2006 , 02:48 AM
I'm not sure but I think the instanced copy can't be textured, the instance copy is just maybe there as a guide only, i think, as you model one half...you could try duplicating a "copy" of one half instead and then texture both the sides

not sure if this is any help, but just thought i give it a shot.

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 3 01-05-2006 , 12:33 AM

Instance texture

No, I've textured instances many times before, so this was driving me crazy. The only solution I have found is to make sure I texture BEFORE I instance the object. Then, the instanced object will have the texture as well.
The purpose of instancing an object is mainly to duplicate like objects while minimizing memory/model size. The downside of instanced objects is you can't do any editing to them such as scaling, individually...which makes sense given their purpose.

If you make a cube, then instance it...you can easily texture the instanced cube. The only reason I can find why I can't texture my instanced objects is because I duped them in the -1 X. So, as I said, I will texture them first before I dup them....kind of strange.

-- dvnobles