Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-05-2006 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber

Adding Inbetween blendshapes

Hey guys, I can't figure out how to add inbetweens for my blend shapes. I can create the first node for inbetweens, but adding it as a problem. I can't figure out how to do this, it keeps coming up with some error. Anyone know a trick in going around this?

Problem with creating new blend shape nodes is that when it comes to making controls for it and it's not in the same channel box, it would break the animation.

# 2 10-05-2006 , 11:34 PM
What do you mean "inbetweens"?

# 3 10-05-2006 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber
I mean the inbetween options where you add in between shapes.

For example, I have 3 objects. 1 object is in the stand pose. The 3rd and last object would be my destination movement, maybe a punch. So that's 2 objects so far. If I were to blend shape that object, it would go from stand pose to a punch immediately in an unpredictable manner because it's linear. So to fix that, you need a 2nd object to put in between the first and 2nd object.

Now it's a stand pose, a pose to ready a punch, then the actual punch. So that's the inbetween. Of course you don't use blend shapes for this type of stuff, but it was just an example.

I'm trying to give my mouth open animation an arc, but I don't know how to add the inbetween shapes after already doing it in create blend shapes. Trying to add it, it kept giving me errors.

W/out the inbetween in this, my mouth would open up like a sliding box, instead of a natural arc.

Anyhow just wanted to know how to do that. There was an option for it, but I couldn't figure it out and kept getting errors.

# 4 11-05-2006 , 12:03 AM
Might help if we knew what the error says...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 11-05-2006 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
This is what happened when I took the 2 shapes and added it to my original shape with specify target node and target index unchecked.

blendShape -e -ib -t polySurface1 0 EyesShut 1 -t polySurface1 0 EyesShut1 2 polySurface1;
// Error: Weights must be unique for inbetween targets. //

When I click and specify node and selected existing nodes it works fine, but it doesn't add inbetweens.

When I click on inbetweens, I have no idea what target index is, so I leave it blank and this is what I get:

It says weights need to be unique for inbetween targets again.

So.....what's going on here?

Attached Images
# 6 11-05-2006 , 05:04 AM
First of all, thank you ! I just learned something new that will be very helpful for doing things like eyelid blinks user added image

OK.
You have 2 blend targets and one base shape. You select the 2 blend targets then you select the base shape and set up the blendshapes as usually BUT you make sure you have the "in-between" box checked. This way the blend targets will cycle through in series. the first blend target you originally selected will happen first then the second one.

NOW you want to add another blend target as an inbetween and you want to put it between the first one and the second one that you originally set up.... Since the inbetweens work in series, the first one has to finish before the second one begins. They don't overlap. The first one will go from 0 to .5 . That's its in-between weight. The second one that you originally set up goes from .501 to 1. If you want to insert a new in-between, you have to give it a unique in-between weight. .5 is already taken by the first blend target that you set up. 1 is already taken by the second one that you set up. That means that your new in-between has to be between 0 and 1 but it can not be 1 or .5. Also, remember that in-betweens happen in series; one right after the next. They don't blend together. So, if you give your new in-between a weight of, say, .7 then the first blend target will happen from 0 to .5. The new in-between that you just added will happen from .501 to .7 and the second blend target that you originally set up will happen from .701 to 1. Pretty simple.

You shouldn't have to mess with the "specify node" check box. That has to do with turning parallel blends into inbetween (I think)

The thing were you have to fill in the target index. It's hard to explain but in your case I think you need to put a 1.

The only thing I haven't figured out tonight is how to chance the in-between weights once you set them up. I think you can paint new weight onto the base shape but I haven't tried it yet.

Anyway, that's what I figured out so far.

OH yeah. One more thing; you can always just delete your blendshape node and start over. Right next to the blendshape slider there is a button that says "delete"... Just delete the blendshape then select your targets and base shape again and set up the in-betweens with the new one included in the group.....

# 7 13-05-2006 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
Wow thanks a lot for taking the time to write down such a long response. user added image

I'll start over and try out your suggestions. And glad to be of any help. user added image

PS:

IF I didn't tell you this already, your sculptures and rigs are pretty amazing. I especially loved all the muscles you did for the TRex. Also enjoyed reading the descriptions. user added image

Last edited by Anhslaught; 13-05-2006 at 08:27 AM.
# 8 13-05-2006 , 06:25 PM
Thanks pal! I think making stuff is the best part of life...user added image