Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-05-2006 , 10:32 AM

Difficulty with tubing

I am trying to make a feeder line from a fixed point, onto an object that can rotate in two directions (see the cannon here)

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=21507

however I am having a problem with it. My initial idea was to try smooth binding a skeleton to a cylinder with lots of height separations (40) and solve it using the spline solver. The problem is, that because the cable is twisted and rotated in a number of angles, it is difficult to get anything that looks remotely realistic. Furthermore, when I use the spline solver, I have to muck around with the CVs every time I move the cannon. Is there any way to create a natural springiness to the skeleton such that, if I put an aim constraint on the last section to point towards the centre of the sphere and fix it to the surface of the phere, the whole cable will act accordingly? I don't really want a hanging, wire type cable, so no need for gravity, just the forces within the feeder tube are good enough.