Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 136 05-01-2007 , 09:09 PM
Can't say it looks like the SSS is working... it just looks more detailless when it should look more transparent, like wax.

# 137 05-01-2007 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
Here is a tweaked version showing off SSS. I need to tone it down now.

Attached Thumbnails
# 138 06-01-2007 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
here is another update

Attached Thumbnails
# 139 06-01-2007 , 12:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Minstrel

Its getting there keep for sure. What SSS shader are you using?

Cheers
Jay

# 140 06-01-2007 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber
Hi Jay, im using MISSS fast skin shader. The "phenomenon" shader std with Maya.

# 141 06-01-2007 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
looks great, but sort of has that 'poser texture'.., whats a 'phenomenon shader?'

mean that crit with best intentions, it was just the first thing I thought, I though maybe creating it for a game with a low poly count. The model looks great.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 142 06-01-2007 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
Hi Mirek, a phenomenon is just a fancy word for complex standard shaders available with maya. not sure in what version they started using them, but there is one for car paint, a simpler SSS than the skin one, and i dont know what else.

can you elaborate on the "posure texture" comment? I don't know what you meant.

Thanks,

# 143 07-01-2007 , 07:19 AM
Subscriber
sorry about that, I guess you don't have poser?? In poser the textures are sort of a bright pastel colour. very game like, I would image the models in poser would be used for pre-vis and gaming. Sort of orangish. The tone on human skin is quite dull, I thought yours rather bright as if glowing from the inside. (just a little). As I said it was very picky but as soon as i saw it that is what I thought. Often first impressions are very astute. I haven't looked at it again, before writing this; the reason, first impressions are important and i don't want to change that by looking at it again and trying to justify my comment with some elaborate answer.

mate, if one person says something you don't need to give it a thought. If two people say something, you may have to check it out.., if three people say something.., do something about it. user added image

# 144 07-01-2007 , 08:42 AM
Subscriber
I see what you mean, and that is the challenge of SSS. the light from within you talk about is the effect of the SSS and it has to be toned down so that its not too obvious. here is an update with a slightly less obvious SSS.

Attached Thumbnails
# 145 07-01-2007 , 10:04 AM
Hey Minstrel

Thanks. Ive not even attempted any real MR shader work, even after all the characters Ive made LOL, but Im taking an interest to go up another level now...

Cheers
Jay

# 146 07-01-2007 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Hey Jay, good to hear user added image

Here is another version with a different HDR image. My wife says she likes this one better. I like the other one. Anyways, the settings on this as far as the shaders are cocenrned are the same. The only difference is the HDR image and a couple of direction lights I added.

Attached Thumbnails
# 147 07-01-2007 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
a better way to get good result from the SSS shader with final gather is to use it not with hdr images, but with area lights.
i make, a studio area light not emitting spec, as the key light. another area for fill light. one directional for back light one ambient for flood light. another ambient with a negative value to suck out unwanted lights to give an illusion of occlusion.

you renders look really waxy and over blown. i think a regular shader will look better.

# 148 07-01-2007 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber
hi mate user added image seems some controversy over this 'SSS' shader user added image Is it free (or do I have it already and don't know). I'm happy i didn't upset you and sort of brought it to your attention (probably you already knew user added image ). Personally i find that a good tut (digi for example ) on the hypershade is worth its weight in gold as I am sure one can get good results using simple shaders. I often wonder how much all of this is just business, you know THIS is the lastest and the BEST, you know, that sort of thing. But if pros like Jay find it interesting then I am sure it must be good and just simply above me. The point though, people have been using simple shaders for years with very good results, it gets to the stage of not how big it is but how you use it user added image

looking forward to seeing more user added image

this latest update looks much better

# 149 08-01-2007 , 03:35 AM
Minstrel:

this is a quote about FG on this shader:

The Final Gather prepass comes before the SSS effect is calculated, so most of the SSS colours are left out of the indirect lighting on other objects. If you have saved the lightmap though (by rendering it with 'Writable' turned on and a filename supplied) and then render with 'Writable' turned off, Final Gather can already see the object in it's finished SSSy state, as if it were just a textured object.

I was having a bash yesterday after I posted here and got a good result, with only 2 spotlights

Check it out:

Jay

user added image

# 150 08-01-2007 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
uummm, not bad for a quick bash user added image