Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 14-12-2006 , 01:44 PM
Subscriber
thanks for putting it in better terms for me gster. I understand now user added image

Originally posted by gster123
Me too, I aint gonna go Vista, I dont want to share my vid's pic's etc in a million ways, for the expence of hardware, I just want a OS to do the job, same as you mate.

Same here, im not going to use or even try to touch vista lol..

Originally posted by gster123
I would jump to a mac os IF i knew that all my software would work, maybe this it where apple have the key????

Pull microsofts rug from under them?

Haha yeah me too aswell. I cannot wait till they find out a way to make .exes run in macs etc soo i can run all my stuff on OS and never have a virus/popup interuping me while im working which sometimes happends to me in windows. lol

Last edited by marlonjohn; 14-12-2006 at 01:46 PM.
# 17 14-12-2006 , 02:14 PM
marlonjohn > 'Haha yeah me too aswell. I cannot wait till they find out a way to make .exes run in macs etc soo i can run all my stuff on OS and never have a virus/popup interuping me while im working which sometimes happends to me in windows. lol'

I'm sorry, but I can't restrain myself to point out that if someone actually writes a virus for a Mac, its going to topple over as easily as a PC, especially becuase most Mac users have this belief that they are invicible from viruses.

As for Vista, heres my opinion:

Completely useless OS that focuses on the following:

1. How pretty it looks (Aero Desktop)
2. How well it does incredibly difficult things such as searching for files, playing music, videos and making home movies!
3. How easy/annoying it is to use (wizards, notification ballons)
4. How unsecure and privacy lacking it is (You can't even get into My Documents without a background service sending the tech specs of your box to MS - obviously meant for technical support purposes...)

I mean really, an OS is to provide a stable and secure base as small as possible for other apps to run on top. Vista uses more memory than Maya 6.5 Unlimited (my version) while rendering!

# 18 16-12-2006 , 05:58 AM
I have an intel Mac and I love it, but I can report that Maya 7 & 8 runs on OSX intel, but slow as hell. Also theres some problems with the dialogs not showing correctly.

if you have an IntelMac, you are better off booting into BootCamp, and feel the pain of winXP.

Or you can wait till Maya 8.5 in May 2007 that according to rumors will be Universal Binary.
Not that I wanna start a flame, but When Maya 8.5 is out, I will never boot into WinXP again!!

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 19 16-12-2006 , 07:59 AM
caligraphics > 'I have an intel Mac and I love it, but I can report that Maya 7 & 8 runs on OSX intel, but slow as hell. Also theres some problems with the dialogs not showing correctly.'

Really?

At my local bookstore, all the Maya books seem to have screenshots taken on a Mac for some unknown reason (I assume its becuase some people think it looks more pretty).

caligraphics > 'Not that I wanna start a flame, but When Maya 8.5 is out, I will never boot into WinXP again!!'

I may use Windows but that doesn't mean I like it. Wish IRIX was still around...

# 20 16-12-2006 , 11:55 AM
Well theres no problems on PPC macs with the dialogs, only intel macs. it is not 100% compatible, it renders fine tho - and everything works, just slow when you start getting more than just a few objects.

It tages ages to startup aswell - But that said, I think it will be killer fast and really really nice when it becomes UB!

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 21 18-12-2006 , 08:18 PM
Acid44
IM(not so)HO MACS SUCK but from my knowledge there wont be any difference that hasn't been mentioned...

windows 4 life

Attached Images
# 22 19-12-2006 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber

posted by The Architect
I'm sorry, but I can't restrain myself to point out that if someone actually writes a virus for a Mac, its going to topple over as easily as a PC, especially becuase most Mac users have this belief that they are invicible from viruses.

As for Vista, heres my opinion:

Completely useless OS that focuses on the following:

1. How pretty it looks (Aero Desktop)
2. How well it does incredibly difficult things such as searching for files, playing music, videos and making home movies!
3. How easy/annoying it is to use (wizards, notification ballons)
4. How unsecure and privacy lacking it is (You can't even get into My Documents without a background service sending the tech specs of your box to MS - obviously meant for technical support purposes...)

yeah thats the only thing im worried about, when someone does write a virus for Mac... lets hope they dont but in the future of course someone will find out a way.

about the "Completely useless OS that focuses on the following" yeah i agree with you there hahaha...

@ acid - ahaha acid, love the picture lol... :attn:

# 23 19-12-2006 , 08:27 PM
Well, one of the reason why I got antivirus for OS X, but no matter what - a virus for mac will be like 1 virus for mac, and 20000000 for PC. Actually I think theres a few mac vira out there allready, but they are not nearly as dangerous as the PC ones, not that I know anyway.

Nevertheless, that is not why I bought mac, my reason is no 2gb limit with memory handling, smooth hazzlefree OS, lovely design, powerfull machine. This is my first mac, but it will not be my last - infact if I should buy a computer again today I would chose mac without a doubt.

I got all the software I use on it - and some new ones, even the games I play run on it (world of warcraft, Unreal Tournament - etc.)

But hell, I wont force anyone to buy a mac, I can only say that I am so happy abut mine, and then its your choice if you wanna get one or stay on PC. If you one day decides to get one, I just hope you will be a fraction as happy as I am about mine.

Another thing, today at work we had a Maya scene that wouldnt render on our PCs - so we have to get hold of a mac, that can handle the 8.000.000 polys that we have to render. And basicly its more winXP's fault, and not the hardware because that is pretty similar.

Dont mistake me as a fanatic, cause I would use any OS/app if it gets the job done - I am just not narrowminded.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S
# 24 21-12-2006 , 03:54 AM
Subscriber
what do you mean 'no 2 gig limit' does that mean the system doesn't work at all like a PC and not rely on RAM memory for perforamance?

i just (24 months interest free) got an i mac, the big screen and little keyboard and no tower, i love it and reading this thread has made me love it more. i dont want to use it for maya, i got it for another industry standards, being if one wants a job best know how to use PC and Mac because Final Cut Pro is mac based and it seems flavour if the month around the production companies or at least at uni.
I needed it for ProTools and the M box.., sound/music/postsound.

i have enough computers to spread the load around.

the thought of a computer that can run PC and Mac OS was very appealing also.

but i am becoming a converted Mac user now (just have to learn how to use it), most has already been said that is good about it, the sceen is bigger than my TV.

still this PC is great too.

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 21-12-2006 at 03:56 AM.
# 25 21-12-2006 , 10:13 AM
caligraphics > 'Another thing, today at work we had a Maya scene that wouldnt render on our PCs - so we have to get hold of a mac, that can handle the 8.000.000 polys that we have to render. And basicly its more winXP's fault, and not the hardware because that is pretty similar.'

I think a better machine for the job is the Boxx Apexx8. It has 8 Opteron CPUs, 128 GB of RAM, up to I think 10 TB of storage!

caligraphics > 'Nevertheless, that is not why I bought mac, my reason is no 2gb limit with memory handling, smooth hazzlefree OS, lovely design, powerfull machine.'

Are you talking about Window's extremely effective, stable and high performance memory managment or something entirely diffrent?

As for Macs vs. PCs, I perfer multi CPU workstations.

# 26 21-12-2006 , 10:55 AM

Originally posted by mirek03
what do you mean 'no 2 gig limit' does that mean the system doesn't work at all like a PC and not rely on RAM memory for perforamance?

i just (24 months interest free) got an i mac, the big screen and little keyboard and no tower, i love it and reading this thread has made me love it more. i dont want to use it for maya, i got it for another industry standards, being if one wants a job best know how to use PC and Mac because Final Cut Pro is mac based and it seems flavour if the month around the production companies or at least at uni.
I needed it for ProTools and the M box.., sound/music/postsound.

i have enough computers to spread the load around.

the thought of a computer that can run PC and Mac OS was very appealing also.

but i am becoming a converted Mac user now (just have to learn how to use it), most has already been said that is good about it, the sceen is bigger than my TV.

still this PC is great too.

I used to have to show people how to use final cut pro with an Imac (amongst other things when I worked for them), got the job with no proir experiance of using it, just from AVID, using Macs I didnt really see any difference (other than the Imac that we used seemed to crash quite a bit compared to a PC running Avid, but hey its different software) other than they looked cooler and cost a lot more.

As for the 2 Gb Limit, not too sure about that as I thought PC's (running 32 bit windows) could go to 4GB and then the 64 bit cona go much higher) But they work the same when it comes to how the computer works, especially with the move to intel as they basically are PC's that just run Apple Os.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 21-12-2006 , 11:04 AM
Senior Software Developer
There is no sucj thing as a 2Gb RM Limit anymore on PC. This was a hardware restriction, most systems can go up to 8Gb RAM (Workstation boards) or 4Gb (Your Home System).

I have 2Gb ATM and I am upping to 4GB when I get chance.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 28 21-12-2006 , 11:14 AM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
There is no sucj thing as a 2Gb RM Limit anymore on PC. This was a hardware restriction, most systems can go up to 8Gb RAM (Workstation boards) or 4Gb (Your Home System).

I have 2Gb ATM and I am upping to 4GB when I get chance.

Cheers for clearing that up, was a bit confused myself on what it was all about, mainly because I got a bit mislead by someone who went on about it.

Same with me at the mo in my laptop, got 2 Gb at the mo but will probably go up to its 4Gb Max in the future

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 29 21-12-2006 , 11:18 AM
R@nSiD > 'There is no sucj thing as a 2Gb RM Limit anymore on PC. This was a hardware restriction, most systems can go up to 8Gb RAM (Workstation boards) or 4Gb (Your Home System).'

I don't think there ever was a 2Gb RAM limit on 32 bit CPUs but I think I read somewhere that the 32 bit version of Windows can only provide access to a maximum of 2Gb for applications due to the way it handled the memory.

Last edited by The Architect; 21-12-2006 at 11:22 AM.
# 30 21-12-2006 , 02:10 PM
WARNING: This post was written on a mac, if you get allergy from macs, don't read on - you have been warned :p

---

I thought like you guys that 2gb limit wasnt true, but I had to take that assumption up to revision.

So AFAIK Windows XP cannot allocate more than 2gb per application - even if you have 128 gb in your machine. Having 4gb is nice tho, since you can have multiple applications running each using up till 2gb.
This is on 32bit winxp - I cannot tell how memory management is on 64bit.

Regarding finalcut, I cant argue about anything there, since I dont know finalcut on either platforms, but as you say its a totally different application.

Regarding the boxxtech machine, I am sure taht is a killer beast, but I have no option to get hold on such a thing before deadline, and not to speak of the insane amount of cash it would cost to invest in that - all for one rendering - that is simply not an option.

I see that theres alot mac bashers here, and I am sorry to have offended your beliefs in PCs - that was not my intension. As I wrote, this was not to start a flame war, it was more to tell the OP that mac is okay, but not intel macs for Maya yet, not until March 2007 when Maya 8.5 arrives as Universal Binary.

(for the PC users Universal Binary is a way of coding that makes sure that the application runs on both PowerPC macs and the new intel macs).

I like PCs - IF THEY GET THE JOB DONE - and I like macs if they get the job done. But I must admit that I like the feel of OS X better than windows XP - but that is not the same as telling you that you will like OS X. its different, and for me it feels more right, less hazzle for me and maybe more hazzle for you.

I do not hate windowsXP - And I am sure I will like vista - especially since it borrowed so much from OSX user added image - but lest not start that discussion.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
LEGO Systems A/S