Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-12-2006 , 03:14 AM

A human face [W.I.P]

Okey this is my first object in Maya but I think It's going good so far (. I plan on making the face and neck to get some material to get into a nice university.) user added image

Crit & comment please!

user added image

# 2 13-12-2006 , 04:43 AM

need a bit of perspective

not you but us we need to know what your trying to do ... can you post any scetches or design work so we can gwt an idea of what your doing then we can crit how your going otherwise the scope is too great

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 3 13-12-2006 , 05:06 AM
Hey nice model you got going. The nose is kind of long and small. I think it could be bigger but thats my thoughts. Cant wait to see an update user added image

https://zoharblur.deviantart.com/
# 4 13-12-2006 , 07:16 AM
hmm.. what are you going for here? realistic? cartoon? At the moment the face is looking too flat and the oval eyes aren't really working at the moment - they look a little too much like holes.

# 5 13-12-2006 , 11:41 AM
Right now I'm just trying to get the general idea how to create a face (done the joan tutorial) This is the first time without a tut and regarding references I've been using https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...&page=35&pp=15 Sadly I dont have any scetch.
user added image
I want to create a realistic style but mostly due to the skin and some proportions it looks more or less cartonish right now. user added image

If you got some tutorials (pref. Maya) I would be glad if you shared. user added image

Regarding the eyes, you want them bigger or do you just want me to change the shape of them?
And thanks for the answers by the way! user added image

Here is a lowpoly if it helps (I think everything looks more clean on lowpolysuser added image)

user added image

# 6 13-12-2006 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber
looks really good for your first model/object in maya.. the only crits i have got for this is that the nose is abit to skinny and small around the button next to the nostiles, also the eyes should be a little bit more bigger i reckon and also you should add a neck to see how it is because it changes abit of the geometry at the bottum, but other than that it looks good.

about my crits, there just my thoughts... its really up to how you want to model your head and how big or small you want cirtain things. cheers man,

marlon

# 7 13-12-2006 , 05:28 PM

A THING THAT CAN BE QUITE USEFULL TO START WITH

I HAVE PLACED AN IMAGE OF A SKULL ON AN IMAGE PLANE BEHIND MY MODEL AND FOUND IT TO BE QUITE USEFULL FOR REF' HELPS GET THINGS SCALED RIGHT AND THE GENERAL SHAPE ... THIS ONE IS FROM "MARSH ANATOMY FOR ARTISTS" THERE ARE COUNTLESS OUT THERE BUT ITS A START ALSO IF YOU TYPE "MODELING A HEAD IN MAYA" IN TO GOOGLE YOU WILL BE OVERWHELMED WITH TUTORIALS THERE ARE HEAPS OUT THERE ALMOST ALL HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER THERE ARE EVEN LOTS THAT ARE FREE

Attached Thumbnails

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 8 13-12-2006 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber

Re: A THING THAT CAN BE QUITE USEFULL TO START WITH

Originally posted by bruce dwyer
I HAVE PLACED AN IMAGE OF A SKULL ON AN IMAGE PLANE BEHIND MY MODEL AND FOUND IT TO BE QUITE USEFULL FOR REF' HELPS GET THINGS SCALED RIGHT AND THE GENERAL SHAPE ..

hmm very interesting bruce, might try it myself... by the way do you mean you have the image of a skull on an image plane behind your model, or that with also your other reference?

Originally posted by bruce dwyer
ALSO IF YOU TYPE "MODELING A HEAD IN MAYA" IN TO GOOGLE YOU WILL BE OVERWHELMED WITH TUTORIALS THERE ARE HEAPS OUT THERE ALMOST ALL HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER THERE ARE EVEN LOTS THAT ARE FREE

yeah bruce is also right weyu, i just relised and remembered how many i got last time when i wanted to learn how to build a proper head etc. you should give it a shot, nothing to lose...

(edit: did your caps lock get stuck or something?) lol

Last edited by marlonjohn; 13-12-2006 at 06:32 PM.
# 9 13-12-2006 , 07:51 PM
Thanks alot for the suggestion going to try to use that skull of yours. user added image I'm probably gonna look up some tutorials for making uv's and the ear part cause i find them rather tricky(especially since i dont know how to uv in Maya. user added image

It will probably be a while before the next update but it will come! user added image (school+friends+New Zelda=Takes alot of time...)

# 10 13-12-2006 , 07:58 PM
hey - how is the new zelda and what's the wii like? It's almost impossible to get over here.

# 11 13-12-2006 , 07:59 PM
It's impossible to get here to, thats why I'm getting the Gamecube version (Getting it tomorow, yey!) user added image

# 12 13-12-2006 , 08:08 PM
ha ha - have fun!user added image

# 13 13-12-2006 , 08:44 PM
Well, aside from the eye and nose issues already mentioned, I have a couple crits.

First, the mouth seems a bit too small. I think it needs to be a bit larger, and give it more of a shape.

Second, the top of the head seems skinny. I'd broaden that out a bit.

But, overall, it's definitely a good model for your first go on Maya. Keep the updates coming!

On a side note, the Wii is a bit scarce, but not impossible to get. I actually got ahold of 2 of them on day 1 - 1 for a friend, and 1 for myself. But, after deliberating, I sold the 1 I was going to keep....I am still kicking myself:headbang:

But, the differences between the GC Zelda:TP and the Wii version aren't very drastic. I think it's just a resolution boost(720p), and of course, the WiiMote advantage. My friend says after some tweaking, the WiiMote felt so natural with Zelda that he can't imagine playing it any other way.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 14 13-12-2006 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
hey - how is the new zelda and what's the wii like? It's almost impossible to get over here.

haha im getting a wii soon... cant wait to play all the oldschool games and zelda. but i have played the wii some of the other games like tennis and that that melbourne gaming expo in the city... the wii is CRAZY and you will never get over it... trust me.. your like fully into the game. and i saw one of the guys playing zelda, even though i wasnt playing i was still excided! lol

my friends which were always on the web 24/7 never really go on it anymore, there too busy on the wii now lol..

cheers, marlon

# 15 13-12-2006 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
hey again, i just noticed a few more tips and crits about your work while i was going to reply weyu... ermm for one of the tips for making the head really stand out is, try make the cheek bone obvious and defined. and what erictacti said about the mouth, should make it bigger and put more detail into it. good luck user added image

marlon