Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-01-2007 , 10:26 PM

Mental ray shader UV issues

I'm having a major problem with Mental Ray right now. I'm working on my final university project, and have made a 3d character. Originally made up of 5 separate objects with separate UV maps, then combined into one.

Each frame individually is rendered absolutely fine in Maya when I click the render button.

user added image

However, when I send it to the batch editor, I get this.

user added image

Does anybody know why this is?

# 2 29-01-2007 , 10:44 PM
What version of Maya/ MR?

Are you using complete, unlimited, educational version?

When you say you "send it to the batch editor", do you mean you run the batch render command or are you sending it to a render farm?

The background behind the character... is it 3d, an image plane, comped?

Are you using render layers?

Are you using render IBL?

What image format are you rendering to?

You results are very screwy so I'm just trying to get an idea of what you're doing.

# 3 30-01-2007 , 05:52 AM
What version of Maya/ MR?
This is Maya 8, Mental Ray 3.5.1.2

Are you using complete, unlimited, educational version?
This is complete.

When you say you "send it to the batch editor", do you mean you run the batch render command or are you sending it to a render farm?
Batch render command

The background behind the character... is it 3d, an image plane, comped?
Its an image plane I used as a guide. I removed this for the final render.

Are you using render layers?
Currently no, but I will eventually.

Are you using render IBL?
Yes

What image format are you rendering to?
Maya IFF

# 4 30-01-2007 , 12:32 PM
So the only diff between your in Maya render and your batch render is the image plane I guess. Does it render properly in Maya without the image plane?

I'm not a big fan of Maya's IBL. Not sure if they got it fixed in Maya 8, but it causes all sorts of problems in Maya 7 and is almost useless with render layers. I could easily see it being the cause of your problems but I have no idea why. Try removing it and seeing if your renders start looking the same in Maya and with the batch renderer.

# 5 30-01-2007 , 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Dann
Try removing it (RE: IBL Lighting) and seeing if your renders start looking the same in Maya and with the batch renderer.

I'm afraid I cant do that. I've spent a considerable amount of time and money towards this major factor in my project, which is now marked for assessment.

I'll find a solution elsewhere.

# 6 30-01-2007 , 09:43 PM
OK, I wasn't sugguesting you ditch your IBL, just do a test to see if that's the problem. Eliminate all possible problems and eventually you'll figure out the culprite.

Good luck.

# 7 31-01-2007 , 08:08 AM
Hey, sorry for assuming the wrong thing. My bad :headbang:

I've fixed this in the end, by simply making a new shader. Source images are just the ones I used matched up all in one file, and I resized existing UV's using the selection constraints tool.

Only took an hour or so to fix in the end. user added image But still, mental ray is a little annoying user added image

# 8 31-01-2007 , 09:00 AM
congrats on the fix, and yes, Mental Ray is a pain in the ...