Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-01-2007 , 07:58 AM

Changing Default Hotkeys

Hey everybody!

This is probaly a dumb question, but how do you change the default hotkeys in Maya? The reason is I always hit 1, 2 and 3 while trying to hit 4 for wireframe and its annoying.

# 2 30-01-2007 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber
Nah, not at all. Like I always say - everything's easy.... When you know how.

If ya hit F1 then type in "hotkeys", there's some directions given in the third result in the top left pane (3) i All about Hotkey editor.

Alternately, just goto Windows->SettingsPreferences->Hotkeys...
This will bring up the Hotkey editor, from where you can view, query, assign or reset Hotkey definitions.

If you type 4 into the box on the right in the "Assign New Hotkey" group, then hit query, it'll tell you what the current command for that key is. If you then type in the key you'd like to use and hit Assign it will work as you'd like.

Just note however, that there are so many hotkeys assigned that there are a rather slim number of key combinations that aren't already used. You may well lose the hotkey to another command, though the command will still be available by other means.

I use 's' to invoke the split polygon tool myself, at the expense of having a hotkey for SetKey - a command I use far, far less frequently.

Hope that make life a little easier for you..
Simon.

# 3 31-01-2007 , 03:43 AM
Cool, thanks mate.