Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-04-2007 , 06:54 PM

Maya for students

I have found a Maya unlimited student license for £260 and I am basically wondering if anyone knows if there are any restrictions on this such as watermarks on renders or size restrictions of renders?

I am currently using the free maya PLE and its getting annoying having the watermarks on all my renders and MR renders limited to 512x512.

cheers in advance

robinuser added image

# 2 04-04-2007 , 07:12 PM
I have the student edition of Maya 8.5 Unlimited. It has no watermarks and to my knowledge no performance restrictions. As far as rendering, I've rendered 1280X1024 with no problems. I believe that it is in all aspects the same as the non-student version except you are not legally allowed to use the program for commercial purposes, nor are you allowed to use it on more than one computer (ie. no render farm).

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 04-04-2007 at 07:14 PM.
# 3 04-04-2007 , 07:16 PM
great news, cheers mate

Will certainly get the pennies out and get my self a copy! The PLE version is a good thing and has given me the ability to get my teeth into maya but now would like to be able to get some unmarked redners!

thanks for the reply perfecto

# 4 04-04-2007 , 08:29 PM
i am pretty sure that one of the restrictions with the student licence is that you can't use your work for commercial purposes. it's been a while since i read that, so i might be mistaken.

# 5 05-04-2007 , 03:19 AM
You should really enjoy the student edition because you can also do scripts, perform hardware rendering, and much more which you can't with the PLE version. Also, make sure your computer meets all the requirements or you might run into problems. However, if you havn't had any problems with PLE, then you should be okay...for the most part.

If you have any questions, definitely post them. There are some really experienced people on this forum ready to help.

Arran's correct, with the Student Edition, your not allowed to use your work for commercial purposes.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 05-04-2007 , 03:19 PM
i really dont like how its locked to your network card, so far i had 3 die but a plus side is if you get a Intel card it never dies and you can keep putting it in your new computer user added image so no need to by another copy for a new computer

also im guessing the videos are on this site are made with a retail version and cost them $6,000? now thats alot i hope there making the money back

Last edited by Bluecow; 05-04-2007 at 03:21 PM.