Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-04-2007 , 10:17 AM

DJ setup Textured

Hey

Finally got round to modeling the mixer to go with my turntables. I havnt modeled the wires or anything yet but might get round to it some time. Decided to apply some textures to it to produce this whole set up.

let me know what you think C&C welcome as always.

cheers and thanks for all the help

robin

user added image

user added image

# 2 08-04-2007 , 04:20 PM
Looking good! I like the fact that I'm not the only one using PLE around here. Good work with the modeling and great texturing and materializing! KUTGW

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 3 09-04-2007 , 07:43 AM
ha cheers. yeh the PLE has done me well so far, but I am def going to look at getting a student version some time in the summer. one question i have would be how would i go about getting lables put on to the mixer texture. you know, like dashes around the dials and sliders etc?

when i figure out how i want to put some lights in the turntable at the appropriate points, cue light and platter light.

might make a set of headphones to sit on the table too.

cheers for looking

# 4 09-04-2007 , 02:53 PM
Hey Man, looks good.

If you want to add numbers lables ect you would probably want to look into laying out the UV's for the bits you need and then using an image creating/processing app such as photoshop to do the lables.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 09-04-2007 , 05:06 PM
thanks. yeh I think its about time I had a read up about UVs and how to use them.

In the mean time I started to model a set of headphones last night.

thanks again

robin

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 10-04-2007 , 06:24 AM
looking good man can you post some wires?

# 7 10-04-2007 , 10:39 PM
cheers mate. here are some wires

user added image user added image

you can see what I mean about the extra edges on the mixer wire. around the right hand button and the left slider. they wont delete?

thanks again

robin

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 11-04-2007 , 02:46 AM
ok finished off some more bits on the headphones. kinda had to change it a bit since i screwed up and hadnt saved but hey.

will get a render with them next to the mixer etc soon

cheers

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 11-04-2007 , 03:49 AM
headphones look good, but you wanna change up your 'sony' text... do some research on the actual font sony uses or find something similar. also, sony always does all caps. it just helps to sell the realism.

also, are you going to add wrinkles to the inner ear portion? it's usually made of a rubbery-type portion that's stretched over the plastic casing (by an elastic looking band) that holds the speaker.

edit: (have to keep editing the post since the pic isn't present while commenting) i know the headphones aren't done yet, but i would also be interested in whether you're going to do the size adjustment portion... are you going to stick to the style you're modeling, where there's only one wire (the 'official' dj style) and one side of adjustment, or are you gonna alter it to allow for adjustment on both sides?

Accept no substitutions.

Last edited by NeoStrider; 11-04-2007 at 03:54 AM.
# 10 11-04-2007 , 09:15 AM
NeoStrider thanks for the comments. Yeh just noticed that the SONY should be in caps cheers! Yes i would love to add wrinkles to the ear cushioning but i dont no how to do it. the whole ear cup is made out of a single nurbs sphere.

the first wire i posted i have modeled the size adjustment part however last night when I went about stitching it together with the strap i screwed up and lost the one i had saved, so decided to just leave it out for now and stitch the strap to the joints.

I guess initially I had hoped to keep it as close to exact as possible but I am going to keep the single wire. At the moment its just a nurbs cylinder thats been bent in places. not sure how to get it to coil?

pic of the headphones

thanks againuser added image