Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-06-2007 , 01:07 AM

Gondorian helm

Right now I'm fairly pleased with the basic shape of the helmet and I've added some basic texture to see how it looks.

The things I have to add is the wing and "flowers", but how should I make them, should I model them like a different object or model it in the main piece, or just texture?

user added image

Reference

user added image

# 2 06-06-2007 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
You've made a good start,

I rekon that the eye area could do with a bit of opening up though. I've illustrated what I mean in the attached image.

Keep at it,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 06-06-2007 , 10:11 PM
I like it a lot. My only concern other than what Mat's posted is the absence of the curvature where the neck goes. (See picture)

You really are coming along quite nicely!

Sparticus

Attached Thumbnails

Expect to excell...
# 4 07-06-2007 , 12:21 AM
It depends on how close you gonna render. Model a layer as a separate mesh and then just paint a bump. If you want better result use a displacement map. To model all that by hand would be a (k)nightmare, unless maybe you do it in ZBrush or Mudbox.

# 5 07-06-2007 , 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the support. user added image

I decided to make the details as a different object I'm yet to decide how to make the "wings".

Well it will be fairly close up, approximately 50% of the scene will consist of this object.

PS. that "bumpy" area that looks a bit mistreated is just the remains of an old bump and specular map. user added image

user added image

Edit: The area for the eye seems to still be a little to small in comparison to the reference but if I make it larger the helmet looks more or less surprised. user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 07-06-2007 at 10:25 AM.