Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-07-2007 , 11:53 AM

how much horsepower does a pc need?

I recently bought a book that talks about modeling and they mentioned a poly count on a model exceeding 2 million.

What kind of pc would you need to odel something that large? how is this usually done? is it modelled in pieces or all at once?

Does anyopne know what kind of horsepower is needed to model something with that high a poly count?

# 2 22-07-2007 , 12:05 PM
you cant handle that in maya.
i think its talking about zbrush or mudbox.
in zbrush, my comp can handle 10 million or more, and mine is bad.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 22-07-2007 , 12:22 PM
You can get up to that in maya, Ive done it as a test, just to see how far I could go wityh out the PC becoming unmanagable, just eats up RAM

The book might as joopson said be talking of Zbrush as you can go really high in that. Not Tried to go mad in that thoguhas I rarely need more than 2 million polys

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 22-07-2007 , 12:28 PM

Originally posted by gster123
You can get up to that in maya, Ive done it as a test, just to see how far I could go wityh out the PC becoming unmanagable, just eats up RAM

The book might as joopson said be talking of Zbrush as you can go really high in that. Not Tried to go mad in that thoguhas I rarely need more than 2 million polys

i just acquired a pc with 4gb of ram but I would have thought that this would be more of a processor issue.

# 5 22-07-2007 , 12:41 PM
Dont think so, might be wrong though, the model is placed in the RAM, I think that any new processor can handle that no probs.

# 6 22-07-2007 , 01:10 PM
I thought the model needs its geometry to be calculated as the user changes its rotation, zoom or modifies a part of it. I'm not sure wether the cpu does the majority of this or the graphics card, but all those cpu benchmarks seem to show better performance with a faster cpu with the same graphics card, bus and ram.

the_brein > 'Does anyopne know what kind of horsepower is needed to model something with that high a poly count?'

I would imagine that this kind of computer is used: link

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 7 22-07-2007 , 01:35 PM
Darn! I was wanting to create a neighboorhood, house by house. Then put all the houses together and create trees, grass, etc. I pretty sure I would go well over 2 million polys so I guess a neighboorhood in Maya is out of the question?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 22-07-2007 , 02:30 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by The Architect
I would imagine that this kind of computer is used: link

Holy crap! I wonder how much something like that costs! user added image

# 9 22-07-2007 , 02:59 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I think they cost on average about 40000 to 60000 pounds.
suffice to say i can't afford them:p

# 10 23-07-2007 , 01:53 AM
Would be great to have a Boxx, but your kinda missing the point, if your scene is multi million polys and your PC's have ing ahard time, hide some of the geo and when it comes to rendering, rendering layers and then composite.

As for whats used to process im a bit unsure

# 11 23-07-2007 , 11:33 AM
If you clean your history well, I've been up to ~4-4.5 million triangles on this Core2Duo E6600 + GeForce 7900GT; it was sluggish but it worked. It was smooth at 3-3.5 million

That being said -- a bunch was redundant so Maya may have instanced some things in the videocard. (Note: They were NOT instance objects... but you never know how Maya might try to save itself some performance. Also note: They were solid-shaded)