SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

Home / forum / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / The default light in a scene ...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Thread

Old 22-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Eelco

Lightbulb The default light in a scene ...

Hey all,

I kinda went into this clean-up mood and deleted everything but the essentials of the model in my scene. Somehow I deleted the default lighting which I kinda want back now. The model is too black to work on and don't want to custom light the scene yet. I made a new scene to find the 'default light' to recreate it in my other scene, but couldn't find it. Where is it?
What _is_ the default light actually? Some ambient light? Where can I create a new or switch it on?
Eelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

hmm. y'know what you might try instead is importing your scene into a new scene so then the default light will be there. That's my first thought anyway.
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Weyu

Once again Mtmckinley shares his infinite wisdom. Where can you find the default light? Would be nice to be able to tweak with its setting.
Weyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
mtmckinley
The Maya Mountain

straight from the help files:

Quote:
If you render a scene without a light, Maya creates directional light during the render so that your objects can be seen. Without it, your objects would not be illuminated; that is, your render would be black.
I'm not sure how to actually adjust that light that is created. I think it'd be fastest to literally create one and adjust it as you want if you want to customize the lighting any.
mtmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Eelco

I see where the object-shader and the light connect now; object-shader>shadergroup>lightlinker<lightgroup<lightobj ect. However, the default light is nowhere to be found. I geuss it's a build-in light that is not an editable light object.
As u can see in the attached image, the spotlight I created is easily found in the in-outs graph. But not the default light. :|

I can't figure out what's different in my scene that makes the objects black. Importing into a new scene works for now. Luckily only a few objects I had to rename and stuff. Just wish I could understand what Maya did. Or what I did to make Maya behave like this so I could fix it next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightlinker.gif
Views:	59
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	35542  
Eelco is offline   Reply With Quote
New Thread