Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-09-2007 , 01:36 PM

whats the difference between a '3D-modelling' and a 'gaming' card?

...I know... this is such a n00b question.

Can I flesh it out though...

I want to learn to create 3d models. I have chosen Maya to be the software I do that on.

I now intend to build a new pc which I would like to do some gaming on but primarily use to create 3d models. Gaming is secondary but important.

My questions are:

1. nVidia appear to outperform ATI for gaming... does this apply in the Maya 3d world also?

2. I see two different TYPES of graphics cards. Whats the difference?

3. related to question 2, but... what are these FireGL boards and can you play games on them?

Sorry if the questions appear stupid. We all start somewhere...
Thanks in advance!

ultra n00b, doesnt know ANYTHING, pls be patient while I learn
# 2 23-09-2007 , 01:54 PM
Lifetime Member
3D cards are usually more based around OpenGL where as gaming cards are more Direct X.
There are plenty of gaming cards that work fine with 3D and some that have little quirks that can usually be worked around.
Although Workstation cards are not specifically designed for gaming they too can do a fine job depending on which card and price range.
In my opinion Nvidia cards seem to have less problems with 3D in general although I 'm sure there are exceptions.
Autodesk has list of compatable cards for Maya although just because a card is not on the list does not mean it will not work it's just that they have tested listed cards and those cards and are known to work.

Here is the link
https://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=9683256

The truth is you can do both things with both types of cards but sometimes the odd model number will have glitches with what you are doing.
If 3d is a hobby and you do lots of gaming then there is nothing wrong with getting a gaming card for 3d,although once you decided on a make and model a quick Google to see if it has issues would not go a miss. If you intend to make 3d a career then a workstation card is a must i feel.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 23-09-2007 at 01:58 PM.
# 3 23-09-2007 , 01:55 PM
Hey there

There are 2 types of cards, workstation cards and gaming cards, workstation cards are generally based on the same technology as gaming cards but have dedicated drivers and a bit of a hardware twist to give them some reliability/performance tweeks when handeling 3d data in applications such as maya, they may also come with more RAM etc but as I'm not up to date with them I'm not too sure.

As for nvidia vs ATI, all I can say is that I use nvidia on my personal machines, at uni they run ATI's (got to point out that they are not the fires of the Quadros there the gaming cards) they both work fine but the ATI's have a few little glitches, nothing to worry about but there there non the less compared to the Gforces, other than that, on performance I dont know as im not gamer by a long chalk, solitare and minesweepers about as much as I play! BUT I have seen in 3d world reviews of the Workstation cards that give the Nvidia better scores over the ATIs, pretty much accross the board.

Yes you can play games on the workstation cards, although I have heard that they play them slightly slower, but on the other hand people say there the same??

You can use gaming cards with maya and other apps no probs, as I said I use a Nvidia Gforce 7900 GTX 512 mb in my laptop and a 4000 series gforce in my desktop with no probs, which might save you a few quid for a better processor/more RAM, as ive found that these pretty much have a more important role when it comes to rendering.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 23-09-2007 , 03:17 PM
Thank you both.

I note from the posted link above that

Nvidia GeForce GPUs -- There are many cards based on GeForce GPU chipsets. Nvidia and Autodesk do not recommend these cards for use with Maya as you may experience various refresh, display and stability problems and inadequate performance.

there is a supplied white paper. BUT - The nvidia site claims FULL OpenGL 2 support on the 8800. I wonder what users experience of this is?
The 8800GTX is a quite awesome card, especially at ebay prices. The equivalent priced workstation cards are less well specified in terms of ram... However all this means nothing if its not stable in Maya.

Also I note that there are no similar caveats on the Maya site with regard to ATI gaming cards. The Radeon 2900XT 512 MB is also a well specified card, cheap by workstation card standards... does anyone have experience of this with Maya?

For me Maya is going to start as a hobby while I learn it. If I can go professional... then in time I can upgrade to a workstation GPU.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by araaran; 23-09-2007 at 04:04 PM.
# 5 23-09-2007 , 05:04 PM
Watch out for the 8800's as ive seen a few problems discussed with them over on CGtalk in the maya section.

Might be worth a look on there to see what it says and if theres any workrounds for them.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 23-09-2007 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber
Hi,
Although my system is a lil dated now, i currently use an GeForce 7800 GS card, no problems.
Great for games and for modelling.

Have also used a while nack a 5700FX, was great also.

Can't comment on ATI, sorry.

# 7 23-09-2007 , 08:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
I've always used GeForce cards at work. Using gaming cards to make games with is usually a good idea since you normally need to be able to run the game you're making to test your work.

# 8 24-09-2007 , 04:54 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
Watch out for the 8800's as ive seen a few problems discussed with them over on CGtalk in the maya section.

Might be worth a look on there to see what it says and if theres any workrounds for them.

I found a sort of working fix for some problems, You need to turn AA up to 2x or 4x and it fixes most rendering and viewport problems.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 9 24-09-2007 , 01:56 PM
Thanks everyone!

# 10 24-09-2007 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Some Guy
turn AA up to 2x or 4x and it fixes most rendering and viewport problems.

Lets hope i remember to do that if i choose that card for next pc,

Btw whats the default setting of AA at?

# 11 25-09-2007 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
I have AA off by default.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge