Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-09-2007 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber

My Head

This is my first stab at creating my head...or any head for that matter. Wasn't exactly sure how to go about doing it, but I think it's not bad for a start. I know I need to work on the ear because I just sort of threw it together. PLEASE be honest and critical and provide any input you can!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 28-09-2007 , 10:11 PM
Not bad!!

The forehead looks a bit large and pushed forward. Prob move it back a bit.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 3 28-09-2007 , 10:17 PM
Subscriber
looking good, looks much better than the first 4 heads I built (no pun intended on the 4 heads part). I'm making another go soon. Keep it up user added image

# 4 29-09-2007 , 01:03 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
A good start. I think the biggest offender right now is the mouth. Its very wide and flat. Dont forget the mouth goes 'around' the face not just across it.

I would advise using reference for heads, anyone can throw a head together, but if you want it to be convincing enough for positive feedback too, get the references out.

Check out the Topology thread. Its in the WiP part of the forum at the very top. Always worth a look if you are stuck or need advice. It saves alot of repetative comments too as there are several issues discussed in there.

Cheers
Jay

# 5 29-09-2007 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
louis56 - Thanks for the comment, looking at it again, it does look a bit large. I'll have to check the mirror and see if it's just me!

rhetoric - Thanks for your reply. I'll keep working on it and see what I can come up with.

Jay - Thanks for taking the time to comment! I've actually looked into that thread a little bit. I actually used the head you made to make some adjustments around the mouth and eyes of my model. I'll definitely look further into that thread to save repeating the same mistakes. I'll take another crack at the mouth and see if I can't tweak some things after work!

# 6 29-09-2007 , 06:26 AM
Hey Shmey

No probs. Yeah check it out, but dont stop asking questions, keep posting your updates, theres always a good guy or gal here always willing to help out.

Cheers
Jay

# 7 04-10-2007 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
OK I really didn't like the other one, so I started over completely. I do like this one better, but there is just something I'm not sure I like about it. Please comment and provide any advice as needed.

Thanks in advance.

-MiKE

Attached Images
# 8 05-10-2007 , 06:54 AM
Subscriber
OK, here is my first trial at a adding a texture. This includes a BaseColor, Bump and a Specular Map. There still is a lot of work to be done on this, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 05-10-2007 , 12:48 PM
I'd really cut down on the geometry, theres too much in areas where there needn't be: the lips and nose and chin areas are the big nasties I see at the moment. Theres some odd geometry too on the lip corners, may cause probs later on if yo are planning on doing animation with it. Post a larger image of the wire version I'll do a paint over for you.

Cheers
Jay

# 10 05-10-2007 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber
Jay,

Thanks for taking the time look it over and provide some help. It definitely helps to have feedback and even more so from someone like you (I've checked out your heads at your site, very nice). I also really like your reel too.

I've attached a larger version of the wireframe and the reference image that I've been using.

Again, thanks for taking a look and doing a paint over!

-MiKE

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 05-10-2007 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
And the reference I've been using.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 05-10-2007 , 09:12 PM
something like this:

Also check muscle structure from facial anatomy diagrams, you'll see that edge looping will actually resembles them...

Cheers for now
Jay

user added image

# 13 05-10-2007 , 09:16 PM
and....

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 05-10-2007 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
nice work man, user added image

personal preference would be sticking a couple of nurb spheres for the eyes, to match up the geometry, i know your referencing from the image, but in 3d it just looks a bit weird. You can always blendshape it to your prefered pose.

Neutral pose gives you much freedom to blendshape much smoother.

keep up the great work man!

# 15 06-10-2007 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
- Jay

Thanks for taking the time out and doing all of that! It is MUCH appreciated! I'll sit down and attempt to clean up my geometry to look a bit more like what you had. Again, thank you!

-AikoWorld

I appreciate your comments! I'll stick some spheres in there to make it look a little better. I'll try to keep it up!

-MiKE