Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-10-2007 , 05:07 PM

Can anyone advise? Can not restore saved work?

Hello

I am a complete newbie using Maya Autodesk 2008 and just getting to grips with the basic stuff, but each time i save my project and then try to reload a saved project i only end up with a blank white workspace?? Can anyone help on this matter? Thanks in advance :-)

# 2 27-10-2007 , 06:57 PM
have you set your project?

# 3 27-10-2007 , 07:06 PM

NOT SURE?

Hi Arran

Like i said very newbie at the moment, so it is quite probable that i am not doing something right? But if you would expand on your question about WIP maybe i am not saving things in the right way? Like i said i have just tried to follow a simple tutorial, and every time i save it close and then go back to re-open all i get is a whited out workspace?? Would be glad of some leaders? THANKS!

# 4 27-10-2007 , 07:15 PM
ok, before you do anything in maya, you need to set your project to make sure that maya saves everything in the right place.

so... go to file>project>new. a table will open. give your project a name, click the button that says use defaults and hit accept. now go to file>project>set and choose your project.

now, make your scene, and hit save and check that your scene is being saved in your project. that should work...hopefully.user added image

# 5 27-10-2007 , 07:36 PM

Already done that?

Hi again Arran

Yes already followed those instructions in the lesson? But when i go back into maya at a later time to continue the project i navigate to the saved project click on the mb file it goes back to the workspace but nothing appears? Only a complete blank whit workspace even in 4 views?

# 6 27-10-2007 , 07:39 PM
hmm that's odd. maybe you could try deleting your prefs folder. then i would try making something and see if it works. other than that - i'm a bit stumped.

# 7 27-10-2007 , 07:47 PM

Already done that twice? :-)

Yeah already tried that one TWICE? But thanks for your input Arran :-) Appreciate it! As you can imagine its getting a little tiresome working on something and then not being able to re-open it, very frustrating Arghhhh! LOL!! I shall just have to hope someone can give me a definitive answer! THANKS AGAIN!

# 8 27-10-2007 , 07:52 PM
good luck - i'm sure someone from simply maya will be able to help. user added image

# 9 27-10-2007 , 07:59 PM
Lifetime Member
If i remember correctly this happen to me a long long time ago and it was a graphics driver issue, but it's not necessarily the same issue here so open up the outliner and see if the objects have been loaded and if so select one and hit F to frame it.
Also check the script editor to see if there are any errors when loading.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 10 27-10-2007 , 08:13 PM

OUTLINER?

Hello Js

Very new to this :-) But thanks for the reply, as you no doubt have read my threads Maya starts up perfect with a new workspace etc....etc... then when i go to open my saved project mb file all i get is a complete whited out workspace in the script dialog box it says: //Result:1 ? Not sure what you mean by use outliner not familier yet with all the terms used for the different aspects of the program :-( I might add i have had sucess opening other tutorial files they showed up fine but what to do with them i dont know? LOL! But as i have said it is just my own saved project files that show up like that? So i can assume there are no problems graphic driver wise because other stuff has opened OK? And animates etc...

The tutorial i started last night is a simple body model tutorial called Frank and i might add i followed the instruction to the letter from the start, and when i finshed i saved it of course and the file shows up in the folder as a mb file etc....?

# 11 27-10-2007 , 08:20 PM
Lifetime Member
ok this is a really odd problem so you might have to bare with us ,the outliner can be accessed from a button located on the bottom left of the screen you can hit the third button down that looks like a perspective view but also has a list next to it or you can got to window then outliner.
Once you have the outliner open it lists everything in your scene and if you have an object like a cube ect you can select it and hit F to frame it,if it is a graphics card issue then the object might show up.

# 12 27-10-2007 , 08:34 PM

Tried the OUTLINER!

Hi Js

Tried the outliner highlighted different objects listed etc....pressed F nothing? Found another mb file tried that too same result WHITE WORKSPACE. I am on Sony Vaio high end laptop running Vista all my graphics seem to run perfectly on anything else i have I have Bou Jou! And I have other progs that run OK! ?

# 13 27-10-2007 , 08:44 PM
Lifetime Member
This is a strange problem, can you attach one of the offending .mb files so we can try it and rule out the file it'self.

# 14 27-10-2007 , 08:49 PM
you don't have 8 pressed do you...?

try pressing space and right mouse click and picking perspective from the options...

# 15 28-10-2007 , 11:23 AM

Thanks anyway!

Thanks for your HELP Arran & Js

I found another thread about this specific problem here:
https://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=557011

So i tried them out but alas they have not worked for me, although i am pretty sure that the problem and answer may lie here?

I shall keep trying anyway, just a little disapointing at the moment it's not worth doing any work, seeing as i will not be able to re-open it :-(

Thanks again