Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-11-2007 , 12:35 PM
Subscriber

Pencil Modeling

Hello all!

I made a pencil from a poly cylinder and poly cone which I combined and merged!
It has 6 divisions around the axis.
But when you take a look at a peak of a pencil then you see that it is round!
I made my peak from the Poly cone which had 6 divisions too, for merging the vertices!
How can I round it with preaserving my single mesh?
The picture below is more than bad, but the PC dont like my usb stick with my inscene picture file!user added image

I made a texture but she looks unsharp! The uv snapshot is 512 to 512! Is it to small!
I wrote the text from the pencil into the textur and in photoshop the written text appears unsharp! Photoshop produced that!
is the uv snapshot to small for text in Photoshop?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-11-2007 , 06:54 PM
Acid44

Re: Pencil Modeling

Originally posted by Mayastatic
Hello all!

I made a pencil from a poly cylinder and poly cone which I combined and merged!
It has 6 divisions around the axis.
But when you take a look at a peak of a pencil then you see that it is round!
I made my peak from the Poly cone which had 6 divisions too, for merging the vertices!
How can I round it with preaserving my single mesh?

you can bevel the edges on the stick of the pencil and leave the ones on the sharpened part like the picture shows...

as for the texture i say a higher resolution might be good but i havent done much texturing so i dont know

EDIT: i forgot to mention to smooth it after bevelinguser added image

Attached Images

Last edited by Acid44; 04-11-2007 at 07:48 PM.
# 3 05-11-2007 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Acid!user added image

But my mayor question is to know how I can get a "round" peak?
The body of the pencil I don´t need to bevel, and the "peak" of the peak don´t have space for new geometry! Or not!?!
I don´t have Maya at this PC and I can only imagine!
Of course I can use a new cone with more divisions, but I don´t want it, because I`m in a phase of accurat working! I want a single mesh without unneeded Geometry!
Can I realize that, it must be possible or not?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Mayastatic; 05-11-2007 at 02:58 AM.
# 4 05-11-2007 , 11:03 AM
Simple. All you need to do it Smooth the faces where you want it rounded. but you will need to do some editting. See the image I attached and you will see where you will need to edit.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 11-11-2007 , 07:26 PM

Originally posted by blinn_shade
Simple. All you need to do it Smooth the faces where you want it rounded. but you will need to do some editting. See the image I attached and you will see where you will need to edit.

I dont think thats what he wants. seeing as he wants to keep it low poly and not adding polys. Id suggest just making the edges soft. that'll give u a round effect, though at some angles it can be obvious that its so low poly.

# 6 12-11-2007 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber
Hey you right!
How can I do that?

I found out that a cone(primitiv) with 6 divisions is absolut round after rendering.
But when you make any changes at it, the roundness gets lost!
Make maya the roundness, as a template for the cone?