Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-11-2007 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber

growing curves

Hi,

I am currently trying to grow, something like tentacles out of an object. The approach I took was to extrude along a curve, unfortunately I did not find a way to animate this as it was growing. If I select the actual CV's of the curve to animate them I end up oevrbending the geometry and I get a lot of artifacts.
I tried the same thing with a nurbs curve, which was a lot better in terms of animation but not in terms of texture as maya seems to change the number or distribution of isoparms while my surface grows and well it looks kinda crap.

I also had a look at hair, as this would be perfect to drive my tentacle, but I didn't find a way of controling its length.

thanks user added image

www.animateme.me.uk
# 2 15-11-2007 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
not sure if this is what you mean??

extrude in the normal way.., except do the settings as shown, particularly 'partial'

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 15-11-2007 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
by keying the node on the channel window.., i think its sub curve 2 that animates it length ways?? anyway.., its in the jpeg here and you can work ot out from here..,

sorry if this is not what you mean

Muser added image

Attached Thumbnails

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 16-11-2007 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
Hey Mirek,

thanks so much, your little trick did it for me I guess I should have played with the settings a bit more.

thanks so much!:attn: user added image

www.animateme.me.uk