Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-12-2007 , 07:23 AM

Maya Help won't open

Hi,

I'm having trouble opening the help file in Maya. When I try and open it, I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot find '\shell\open\command'. Make sure you spell the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

This also happens with other items in the help menu, such as "what's new" and "tutorials." I am however able to open the HTML help file in Windows explorer. I'm not sure what caused this; it just seemed to stop working for no reason. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

# 2 01-12-2007 , 09:24 AM
You're probably using a different browser like Firefox. For some reason Maya gets confused with this because it has Internet explorer as a default. Try changing it in the Maya preferences, or save the maya help link in firefox and bookmark it, but you'll have to open firefox every time you want to look at Maya Help or anything maya related.

EA Games
# 3 01-12-2007 , 01:21 PM

Re: Maya Help won't open

Originally posted by SJCarlson22
Hi,

I'm having trouble opening the help file in Maya. When I try and open it, I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot find '\shell\open\command'. Make sure you spell the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

This also happens with other items in the help menu, such as "what's new" and "tutorials." I am however able to open the HTML help file in Windows explorer. I'm not sure what caused this; it just seemed to stop working for no reason. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Also if its 8.0 it tends to get confused if you install it somewhere other than the C drive.

# 4 02-12-2007 , 05:01 AM

Originally posted by djknucklez1
You're probably using a different browser like Firefox. For some reason Maya gets confused with this because it has Internet explorer as a default. Try changing it in the Maya preferences, or save the maya help link in firefox and bookmark it, but you'll have to open firefox every time you want to look at Maya Help or anything maya related.

Yes, I am using Firefox, but it used to open fine with Firefox. I guess it's not that big of a deal if I can just set a bookmark link to the file. Thanks.