Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-12-2007 , 02:21 AM

Arrgh booleans!!

I am doing the Mech tutorial by Kurt (I love you man!) but seems boolean hate's me. Everytime I try to do a union, it does a difference and when I do a difference it does a union. Is it on my end of is it Maya just being picky. Also when I do get it using difference and clean the model up there are still problems with the mesh. :headbang:

# 2 13-12-2007 , 07:00 AM
post a pick up so i can have a look see. sounds like might be normals or vert problem...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 13-12-2007 , 07:57 AM
Here is the pic. I have tried combining and then merging vertices then converting but topology is all messed up. And when I tried difference it sometimes works but not always and works when I select the thigh first and then the hip, not the other way around. Since I can only attach one file the next reply will be my maya file attached. Seems the site is taking some time so I uploaded the maya files to mediafire.

Edit: Pic is too big and I fixed the boolean prob.

Last edited by haiddasalami; 16-12-2007 at 12:40 AM.
# 4 16-12-2007 , 12:40 AM
haha found the prob. normals were inverted on the thigh. Still having some probs with having clean geometry when I do the convert from polygon to sub-d. Will post a pic up soon.

Edit: Seems Maya 2008 hated the triangles in the nurbs circle. I saw that Kurt was using an older version so maybe that was the prob. But I got clean geometry by making the tri's quads and then smooth with a level 2 and then covert to sub-d. That works.

Edit 2: Could not go back to base mesh so I did the intersection manually..funny I never tried that but got it to work..

Last edited by haiddasalami; 16-12-2007 at 04:27 AM.