arran, yeah it's the bit you blow the balloon up with.
Steve, I did use hair for the string... well the string is a poly mesh with a joint chain running through it and I used the hair to make the joint chain dynamic. In actual fact there are 2 joint chains in the string, one running upwards and one running down from the grip point. The balloon is parent constrained to the top most joint in the upwards chain, I had to tinker with many of the dynamic settings for each chain to get them to act as they do, which for a first attempt I'm pretty proud of but as I said there is much left to do!! I already have a couple more ideas on how to make the balloon work that I'd like to try before I properly decide on which to use.
I made a tutorial for my Hair and Fur site about dynamic joint chains.... Click This To See It
... if you're interested.
Unfortunately my desktop has acquired a nasty bug and, after spending the last 36 hours trying to fix it, I'm having to resort to completley wiping the hard disk and re-installing my OS and software which along with making emergency back ups of my work will probably take the best part of the weekend, yawn!
I will probably be in touch with you at some point while I'm making this project Steve, cheers.
Take it easy,