Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-04-2008 , 11:48 PM

undo canvas?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me why I cant undo paint strokes in the paint effects canvas window? I have tried the undo comand and also canvas- canvas undo
Im going to struggle without it!!

Thanks,

Jo

www.jowand.com
# 2 14-04-2008 , 06:52 AM
Weird.
I just created a stroke and used the Canvas Undo command and it works fine.

What are you trying to do exactly?

Sorry, we need a little more detail to beter help you outuser added image

-Maya version
-Are you trying to clear the canvas with more than one stroke applied?
...etc.

Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 14-04-2008 , 07:39 AM
Hi, Sorry, Its Maya 8.5 and i chose the Brush- Get brush option then chose the wind swept grass which paints several blades of grass at once. Even if you try to undo repeatedly it does not have any effect......??

www.jowand.com
# 4 14-04-2008 , 07:41 AM
Er, I had cleared the canvas to a blue clour and painted carpet grass along the bottom and then clouds in the sky, I then painted a little wind swept grass up side down by mistake in one stroke.......
If that makes it clearer,

Thanks,
Jo

www.jowand.com
# 5 14-04-2008 , 07:56 AM
No problem, I'm opening Maya, and trying the same shot to see if I can get the same issue.....

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 14-04-2008 , 08:14 AM
Ok, I first thought maybe it had something to do with a viewport bug, but when I tried many different viewport views, such as fullscreen, popped-out, and standard in-the-4-view the Canvas undo feature worked fine.

Here is my test pic, even though it probably wont helpuser added image
user added image

By any chance are you painting your strokes, then making adjustments, then trying to perform the Undo after something has been changed?

OR, might you be painting more than one stroke, and then trying to undo more than once?

I ask because I had a student once who wondered why multiple-undos were not possible in the canvas view.

Darn Jo, I wish I could figure out whats going on.
Any chance of you passing along your file, so I can weed-out any chance that the file itself may be corrupt thus contributing to some sort of issue?

Thanks again!

Oh, have you tried doing the same thing on a totaly new file after having restarted Maya?

I'm just shooting in the dark hereuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 15-04-2008 , 01:16 AM
Ok, I think I've figured it out with your help. I was using a graphics tablet and think I must have touched the tablet again after I mistakenly painted the sideways grass. I have realised from your reply that I can only undo once and undo takes away and puts back only the last brush stroke....... Can you really only undo once? that seems tricky!!
Thank you for your help....

Jo

www.jowand.com
# 8 15-04-2008 , 01:27 AM
Yeah, sadly there is only one undo while using Canvas modeuser added image

The canvas was really made as a way to test custom brushes, and create really BASIC images with an embedded alpha for things such as making sprites, etc.

Maybe you might want to create your scene in 3d instead?

That way you can have the luxury of multiple undos, and you can even reposition and animate brush strokes and curves.
Plus, you can delete any brush stroke at any time.

Just a thoughtuser added image

Good luck, and great portfolio by the way!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 15-04-2008 , 04:22 AM
Ahhhh, I see!
Thank you, Your guidance is much appreciated, and thanks for the compliments on my website user added image

Jo

www.jowand.com