Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-01-2003 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber

How to make reptile eyes ?

I know how to use the ramp-texture creating "normal" eyes, but how is it possible to make reptile-like eyes.

Does anyone know the trick, it would be kewl :p

# 2 03-01-2003 , 08:35 PM
Gosh, off the top of my head here at work, I would say to gouge-out my bosses eyes for reference and.... whoops.... I've said too much....

LOL hehe...

Seriously tho,

I'm assuming your interested in that cool "football" shape that cats and reptiles iris's have right?

You have 2 options that I know of:

1. Use a plain-old texture map of a reptile's iris. (probably your best bet)

2. In the ramp's 2d placement node of a "regular" eye ramp, adjust the..... wait... I just tried it here at work, and after trying EVERYTHING on the 2D placement node, it looks like it cannot be done? weird!!!

Sorry....

What I ended up doing was selecting the "regular" eye blin shader, and SHIFT selecting my eye geometry, and in the hypershade, choose convert to file texture.

Then I opened it up in Photoshop, and tweaked it by hand....

Sorry man....

That's the best I can do from here...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 03-01-2003 , 08:36 PM
Anyone else got any ideas on how to do this proceduraly?

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 4 03-01-2003 , 09:23 PM
Well this might be a start as far as using procedurals for the eyes: Bird Tutorial - Eyes. For a reptile, though I think I would go with a texture and do it up in photoshop.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 04-01-2003 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
Poly sphere. Turn 90 degrees on X-axis. Assign Ramp texture. Use Poly Split Tool to make foot-ball-shaped pupil. Open Hypershade. Create black lambert/blinn/whatever. Select all pupil faces. S-H-I-F-T MYFRIEND - SHIFT-select the lambert shader you just created in hypershade. Right click it. Click "Assign Material to Selection."

Booga!

# 6 04-01-2003 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber
And you can always add a pretty fractal texture to the iris....

# 7 04-01-2003 , 12:55 AM
Good one Darky!

I was soooo tured at work today, that I keep forgetting about the simple thingsuser added image

Thanks man!

PS, with your polySplit tip, I now see how one can also make the pupil controlable in terms of dilation with a set-driven key in relation to light intensity, and xyz distanceuser added image

Thanks again man!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 8 04-01-2003 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
Kewl Darky...

That was really a help. I myself was forgetting all about poly-shading. However, its a little harder to make the eyes realistic this way.

But who says it supposed to be easy...?

Thanks alot!

Kühl
# 9 04-01-2003 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
Hey.. and PS, Thanks for the fine example. I owe you one user added image

user added image

# 10 04-01-2003 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
I could't waite to see it in action so I made some weird bird to apply it to... Dont comment on the model... It was just meant for an example. user added image

Kühl

# 11 04-01-2003 , 01:47 AM
Looks like my girlfriend in the morninuser added image hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 12 04-01-2003 , 01:49 AM
Hehehe...ouch! Hope she doesn't read the forum. user added image I still say textures would be the way to go to make the eye more photorealistic.

# 13 06-01-2003 , 01:53 AM
I was thinking of this old tutorial I came across once on making an eyeball in Maya when this thread came up....just found it again. It uses Procedurals and looks fairly realistic. You would have to adapt for the reptile pupil but this will show you how to set up your ramp and other materials.

How to Create a Realistic Eyeball.

--Pete

Last edited by NitroLiq; 06-01-2003 at 01:56 AM.
# 14 06-01-2003 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
Not a bad tip Nitro - it was actually this tut who kicked me onto using the ramp.

However it doesn't help me with the reptile-look.

I have searched the internet for such a texture, but it seems impossible to find (without paying for at full package of animal eyes).

I still think it could be nice to find a tutorial on how to create your own textures in photoshop, 'cause im not much experienced in PS.

The most be some of your guys who create your own textures?

# 15 25-01-2003 , 03:08 AM
Subscriber
Hey i have had experience in other 3d programs than maya in the past and i can tell you one thing. Just take all the tutorials you can find on that one subject and all other tutorials on how to do materials, and then you should be able to do it yourself. Thats what i used to do, if i wanted to make something i would research plainly on that area until i had enough knowledge to do it. Ok, dont know if that helps but yea.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com