Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-05-2008 , 08:40 PM

Mclaren F1 WIP

Hi folks, thought I'd start a thread for a car I am attempting.

It's the Mclaren F1. I've got the image plance from the-blueprints.com, and am following along with a DT tutorial kit (they model the regular edition, the body is significantly different though, wanted to try with my own ref since if it turns out well I'll put it in my portfolio).

Any crits and comments or advice welcome, hoping I can get quite a lot since it's my first car.

First thing that struck me is that the reference don't match up, and it's not just my bad editing; certain parts match perfectly, while some are quite a way off. After googling this though I found out that it's often the case, even with proper blueprints.

Anyway, here's my first image: all curves built, and the first two panels roughly lofted, the workflow here is curves > nurbs > polys > subdivisions.

cheers,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-05-2008 , 08:55 PM
Acid44
sweet someone other than mes gonna do this car :p

looks good so far

# 3 19-05-2008 , 09:23 PM
Cheers acid,

you done one already? Looked through a couple of pages of your thread history and couldn't see it... if you have one feel free to post it up here, would be interesting to see a wire in particular.

cheers

gubar

# 4 19-05-2008 , 09:28 PM
Acid44

# 5 20-05-2008 , 04:57 PM
Hi acid,

thanks for the link. How come you stopped? Looked like it the basic shape was on it's way.

A small update, the reason the side is such a mess, is that I am preparing it for seperation; the door has a kind of v shape at it's bottom. It's going to be difficult.

If anyone can point out any obvious errors at the moment it would help, since the tutorial I was using to assist is fairly useless in regards to the side, since the panel construction on this one (GTR) is totally different.

cheers

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 20-05-2008 , 09:50 PM
Here's the car:

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 20-05-2008 , 09:51 PM
update:

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 20-05-2008 , 09:52 PM
wire:

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 20-05-2008 , 10:17 PM
Subscriber
cool start, thou for me the polygons are a bit to high for this stage.

Its hard to tweak this amount of polygons then a lower cage one.
At the moment i can only recommend that every realistically separated part in real life should be modelled in real life as a separated object, dont model like its a mould, but i cant really see if there separated at the moment.

And yes following a tutorial from a different car is hard to get at with the F1.

keep it up have fun.

# 10 20-05-2008 , 10:24 PM
Thanks,

yeah all the parts are separate. Think you're correct about the poly count being too high for such an early stage. May have a look and see what I can remove until I've got the whole shape boxed in.

The car in the tutorial is the regular mclaren f1. The one in the image is the mclaren f1 gtr.

cheers

gubar

Last edited by gubar; 20-05-2008 at 10:31 PM.
# 11 21-05-2008 , 06:17 AM
Acid44
thought is was a gtr... looked wierd to me...

i stopped cause i had a hard drive failure

lookin great so far man goo luck on the door:p

# 12 24-05-2008 , 10:33 AM
Hi,

as much as I hate to give up on a model before it's done, I'm leaving this for the time being. The refs are just too off, and I need to have some models complete within the next few weeks.

On indefinite hold.

cheers,

gubar