Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 76 01-09-2008 , 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
Lol yeah, a 130 by 250 ft kitchen is just crazy unless you're McHammer :x.

- Genny
# 77 01-09-2008 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
a 130 cm kitchen??? wouldn't fit the cat in it user added image i wasn't thinking of it in terms of reality but yea, 130 ft would be a dance floor. user added image (reality in cyberland..??? now things are getting strange)

just interested because we were talking about focal lengths user added image an lately i have been trying to decide how size effects the scene if at all user added image and your scene

does scene size matter much in mental ray.., i know it does for ray tracing (i think it does).., but does if matter much for FG or GI.., i have some tuts here so im not looking for a big answer.., yes or no is fine user added image

i got a bit of a handle on the maya renderer.., the taj render for shadows was a bit of a dig into the parameters as the scene is sort of large.., filter and bias.

i really want to get on top of the spherical environ and HDRI.., and displacement. (as he drifts off into la la land???)

(i suddenly feel off a bit?? i better eat something.., weird how these things can hit suddenly??)

take care user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 78 03-09-2008 , 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Hey,hey.

@ mirek, yah scene size does matter in MR as far as controlling photons and all that other good stuff.

Ok so, I'm done with this kitchen (knowing myself I'm going to putz around with this again at some point) but gotta keep moving. For the most part I'm happy with the way it came out except for some artifacts but you live and you learn I guess.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 03-09-2008 at 08:37 AM.
# 79 03-09-2008 , 07:20 AM
Looks really nice, except for the plants, they sort of let it down a bit, if thay had the spit n polish then it would really sell.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 80 03-09-2008 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
i disagree with Steve.., sorry mate.., i think the whole image works.., the plants i did notice immediately.., but as i looked about i realised that the image has equal relation.., i think the plants stand out because for some reason i haven't looked deeply into (could be vectors??) .., the eye immediately looks at the plants.., it seems point of focus.., and i think it apparent they are not meant to be POF.

but i think the whole image has the same style.., not photo realistic kitchen with plants obviously 3D.., its all obviously 3D but in a very good way.., this is not a photo-realistc image.., sorry Gec if it is supposed to be.., if it is.., its not selling.., as a project.., i think it very well done.

why the eye is drawn to the plants i cant say.., not going to because i dont want to deconstruct it.., its fine as is.

if you want futher opinion i will give it though. im sure you dont need it though.

cheers mate. user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 81 03-09-2008 , 08:23 AM
Haha, no probs mirek, if everyone was the same it would be a real boring world!

As you said the eye's drawn to the plants which stand out as not being realisitc when compared to the rest of the image. I would have thought that the project would be to create an impression of a room, in the arch vis sense which tends to aim for as close to photo realism to accuratly represent the building/room, if I've missed the point of the project then its not going to be the first time or the last!

As I said IMHO it's really really good, just that the plants just could do with a bit of a tweek.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 82 03-09-2008 , 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the crit guys user added image
About the plant, the model for that is..well not new, at this point I know I can make better vegetation but I already said I needed to just finish this thing sooo yeah I just plopped that in there, not thrilled with the way it sat in the scene but I thought it was "ok" since I needed to break up the green. And appearently I posted the overly bright version so I will be editing that post shortly.

- Genny
# 83 03-09-2008 , 10:17 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
my girl friend was staring at my monitor and thought i was looking to buy stuff for the kitchen............
so hell yeah i say it looks damn realistic

# 84 03-09-2008 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
haha, that's halarious

i'm with steve on this and i think merik says its obviously fake and murambi's girl friend thinks it's real is probably because merik expects it to be fake?
that or else he's been playing with cg long enough to know when things aren't real user added image

i like the picture user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 85 04-09-2008 , 10:28 AM
I really like your design of your kitchen and the flower more. keep up and cheers!user added image

# 86 08-09-2008 , 09:19 AM
Waay better than my kitchen user added image
I'm just trying to get the hang of photons,texturing(specularity maps,bump maps etc) and whatnot.
It's overall realistic(Although I can tell it's CG) and it will take me a while to achieve the realism that you have user added image

Last edited by jm82792; 08-09-2008 at 09:22 AM.