Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-06-2008 , 08:30 AM

Opera 9.5

I just upgraded from Opera 9.27 to Opera 9.5 today and I am impressed.

It is so fast! Everything is even more responsive than before - and I though it was fast then (vs IE) - you should see the animated GIFs on this site (them smilies)... they do a complete loop in around five times a second.

The only down side(s) is that when I upgraded, previous history entries that I had deleted came back. I think that has got something to do with the new history search feature. Another minus is that the tool bar that shows the tabs looks Vista inspired - not a good thing when you use Linux.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 2 13-06-2008 , 09:15 AM
How does it compare to Firefox?

I tried Opera years ago when it was 3 or 4 something, thought it was pants, is this one worth a look?

Cheers

Chris

# 3 13-06-2008 , 09:30 AM
Hmm. Hard to say how it compares to Firefox. They both load in about the same time, but everything else (loading, browsing, interface) in Opera seems a bit more faster.

Memory usage is around the same, although Opera uses a lot less CPU time on my box than Firefox does - but that's just becuase my box is old.

As for features - Opera has a lot of them, Firefox not so much, but Firefox is every expandable. The current Opera email client also doesn't support HTML emails yet (due for version 10), which can be a disadvantage (I don't like HTML email, so its good).

Overall, I think its worth trying. I've used Opera since version 8 - which is was 2 or 3 years ago. Opera 9.5 is a vast improvement.

# 4 13-06-2008 , 09:40 AM
I was just curious, so I tried the Acid 2 test, which tests if the browser can render standards compliant HTML. And Opera 9.5 passed without a hitch. It would be interesting to see if IE7 does - last time I heard it still has trouble.

Here's the link if anyone wants to give it a go: https://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

# 5 13-06-2008 , 10:59 AM
just tried it with firefox, all I can say is...
Oooops!:shakehead

I think I'll give opera a go just to see

Cheers

Chris

# 6 13-06-2008 , 11:17 AM
Just downladed opera 9.5, yeah I have agree it's nice and it passed the acid2 testuser added image

I'll see how I get on with it over the next few days

Cheers

Chris

# 7 13-06-2008 , 11:30 AM
Just tried the acid2 test on Firefox and you're right, it doesn't work. Tried it with Konqueror 3.5.8 and it got 99% of it working, but the top of the smilie isn't in the right place.

A comment on Opera 9.5: After a while, the black bar that shows the tabs hurts the eyes if the site you are on has a light colored background... I might mod the interface... user added image

user added image

# 8 13-06-2008 , 11:40 AM
Well I got macintosh native skin up and thats ok on the eyes

Quite safari lookishuser added image

So far its nice

Will let you know How I get on

Cheers

Chris

# 9 13-06-2008 , 12:00 PM
I downloaded a Safari skin... much better on the eyes... user added image

I have to admit, after being a critic on that whole brushed metal look, it isn't really that bad. In fact, it's actually very nice. It would probaly look better on a Apple display, cause the monitor is made of brushed aluminium whereas mine is cheap plastic with silver paint. user added image

# 10 13-06-2008 , 12:06 PM
Yeah brushed metal does look better with a brush ali screenuser added image

Chris

# 11 13-06-2008 , 12:10 PM
Just found the safari skin, yup opera is faster than firefox.

The more I use opera 9.5 the more I like it user added image

Cheers

Chris

# 12 13-06-2008 , 12:15 PM

Originally posted by flatpacmac
Just found the safari skin, yup opera is faster than firefox.

The more I use opera 9.5 the more I like it user added image

Cheers

Chris

Same, 9.5 is awesome! :attn:

# 13 13-06-2008 , 01:41 PM
Hang on a minute

Have we just started an Opera 9.5 appreciation club or something, cos if we have we'd better get some more members:p

Chris

# 14 13-06-2008 , 02:46 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I use opera on my pc
it deserves to be much more popular than it is

# 15 13-06-2008 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by The Architect
I was just curious, so I tried the Acid 2 test, which tests if the browser can render standards compliant HTML. And Opera 9.5 passed without a hitch. It would be interesting to see if IE7 does - last time I heard it still has trouble.

Here's the link if anyone wants to give it a go: https://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

IE8 is supposed to be much more compliant than 7, and apparently Microsoft is soon going to stop supporting 7.

I read a whole article on 8. It sounds like they hired some smart programmers, but they ended up overthrowing their smarts for microsoft stupidity yet again.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”