Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-08-2008 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber

Retro Space Age

Alright I have done a bunch of searching for images of the 1970's Retro Space Age items and I've got a bunch of references. The type of items you see in Clockwork Orange, Sleeper (Woody Allen), and other films I can't think of at the moment. I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

I've only done one other project that was a house interior which was my computer desk and computer. This time I'm making a bunch of items, first item is pretty much done, the Dining room table. Below are pictures of a quick maya hardware render with the original lighting that maya provides, and the other picture is a wireframe.

user added image
user added image

I will be adding kitchen cabinets, sink, refrigerator, a whole living room, bathroom, bedroom, all in this retro space age look.

More items to be posted soon.

Edit: Don't know how I'm going to set up the house yet, just making the items I will need

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 01-08-2008 at 09:47 AM.
# 2 01-08-2008 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber
decided to add a bit of color to it real quick

user added image

# 3 01-08-2008 , 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Not bad there. There is a wee bit of uneven area around the top of the chairs, on the inside and outside, is it supposed to be like that?

- Genny
# 4 01-08-2008 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
I'm not sure I know what part your talking about. But the orange is representing a padded cushion that way it's not solid plastic, I also made little seat pillows for added comfort.

# 5 01-08-2008 , 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Those areas.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 6 01-08-2008 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
oh ok I see what you're talking about... yeah those are areas I need to fix up still. Not so much the orange parts (since it's cushions and it's not going to be perfectly smooth) but the chair itself I need to still fix that. Thanks for pointing that out.

# 7 01-08-2008 , 01:01 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This sounds like a cool project!

I love clockwork Orange, and that whole style.

Anyway, If you want the insides of the chairs to look like cushions, then you should probably make the outer edges lees-sharp, and also add a few other imperfection, and wrinkles maybe... just so when we look at it we think cushion... you know what i mean.

anyway, nice work!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 8 01-08-2008 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the ideas mayaniac. I figured the detail like that would come in the bump maps and stuff (which as of now I know nothing about). So far these are just models with different color shaders applied. I'm just getting the modeling done now. Yes the chairs definitely do need a bit more work to be more convincing of the cushions. Thanks. user added image

# 9 02-08-2008 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
one new small item I did lastnight before I went to bed, there will be a few of these different sizes shapes and possibly colors to.

user added image

I also think I got the chairs fixed up, here it is same angle as before but only with the chair cushions and backs smoothed out a bit.

user added image

everything is smoothed out by pressing 3 on the keyboard. I was wondering how would I keep the poly number the same but smooth it so it isn't just a preview of smooth like hitting 3? Hopefully you get what I mean.

# 10 02-08-2008 , 06:01 AM
Subscriber
Today I spent time making a couch. Way more time that it probably should have taken to make a couch. Some spots are still a little too bumpy for my liking.

user added image

and a wireframe

user added image

once again, anyone know how to smooth this so it's not just the 3 key, and without gaining much more poly's?

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 02-08-2008 at 06:16 AM.
# 11 02-08-2008 , 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Assuming that you're going to use Mental Ray, why don't you tell it to approximate come render time instead of smoothing and having to deal with all those polys in realtime. Since I learned about that I never looked back lol :blush:

- Genny
# 12 03-08-2008 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
Assuming that you're going to use Mental Ray, why don't you tell it to approximate come render time instead of smoothing and having to deal with all those polys in realtime. Since I learned about that I never looked back lol :blush:

I was thinking about using mental ray, will be a new thing to learn since I've never really got into render yet. I'll give that a try once I'm at that point. Thanks for the reply.

I've also heard something about proxy smooth, don't know if this is what I'm looking for either or not. Haven't taken the time to look into it yet though.