Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-09-2008 , 02:41 AM

Object Space Normals in 2d bump attributes?

Hello.

Maya 8.5 on a Precision 690. 2 G RAM, OS: Windows XP-Pro

I am trying to add a normal map I made in another program as a bump map in maya. To do this I was told go to the 2D bump attributes > Use as: > Object Space Normals.

However, when I open the Use As drop window there is only Tangent Space Normals as an option. How do I add select Object Space Normals as an option?

Is there a plug in I can load?

Any help most welcome.

Thanks, Tristan

# 2 10-09-2008 , 03:14 AM
why would you use object space? that screws up lighting anyway. as for your question, Its a new feature in maya 2008, otherwise there IS a long process to get it working. Im not the person to ask about that though, haha.
-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 10-09-2008 , 04:30 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Must be new to 08.

Why are you using this setting anyway. You said you want the Bump node to use your normal map as a bump... So why change it to normal map?

Just convert your Normal to a Bump map. Crazy Bump is free I think, and it can do this all for you.

Else you could just take it into photochop, then Grey scale.

To be honest I think it will except the straight normal map.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 10-09-2008 , 08:22 AM
Thanks guys. I'll just play around with what I have got.

The normal map I made following a tutorial where the user then imports it in to Autodesk 2008. It wasn't till I got to that step in the tutorial that I discovered that this was one of the areas was 2008 is different than 8.5

I'll come up with something.

T