View Poll Results: Do you guys believe in this?
I believe a blackhole will be created 3 17.65%
I think its a pack of balony 8 47.06%
get to da chopper! 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-09-2008 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber

Black Hole / Large Hadron Collider

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...scicern309.xml

TBH i think its balony, but it'd be interesting to see what happens anyway ... what you guys think? lol, i guess we will have to wait in 4 hours from now user added image

all i can say if it does create a blackhole, "get to da chopper!" - arnold schwarzenegger :p

Last edited by marlonjohn; 08-09-2008 at 04:20 PM.
# 2 08-09-2008 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
They are not actually smashing anything today. They are only sending the protons one way. All that doomsday crap will (supposably) happen in October when they start colliding beams together.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 3 08-09-2008 , 08:02 PM
If we get sucked into <scary music> The Void </scary music>, I am gonna "float" towards the physicists responsible for the LHC and say:

"Thanks for sucking the entire Universe into <scary music> The Void </scary music>!"

Steven Hawking will then float past, and say, "At least we know what happens when we smash two photons together at near lightspeed..."

To which I shall reply, "I think most of the Universe would prefer it if we were not reduced to a soup of wacky particles and dark energy..."

Of course, this would never happen, because Dr. Who and his TARDIS will turn up somewhere and stop it from happening just in time.

So if you're in Cardiff, keep your eyes open for a blue box...

user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 4 08-09-2008 , 08:14 PM
Acid44
GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

idk what'll happen, im not a physicist, but i'll tell you this much, if a blackhole does pop up, i'm gonna be pissed.

# 5 08-09-2008 , 10:47 PM

Originally posted by acid44
GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

idk what'll happen, im not a physicist, but i'll tell you this much, if a blackhole does pop up, i'm gonna be pissed.

Lol, that'll be a reason to pack our staff and go to anothewr planet...
But there you go, No black hole!
I was kind of fun to hear student's complain how their last action on earth is going to be studying some boring lesson...

Hope they discovered something that'll help stop the oil crisis and global warming, since earth is looking forward to a much more grim future then being sucked spectacularly into a black hole :shakehead
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 6 08-09-2008 , 11:11 PM
Subscriber
i'd like to agree with the scientist who said the people who wanted to stop this from happening are idiots

it's funny how all these things like smashing particles and genetic engineering happen naturally but when its bought into a lab all the people who don't know it get all miffed

what i find funnier is this:
www.blackholebunker.com

clearly a hoax (you're still gonna get sucked in even if you were in a $699 capsule...pretty cheap eh?) but i would totally laugh if someone bought those products user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 08-09-2008 , 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
it's funny how all these things like smashing particles and genetic engineering happen naturally but when its bought into a lab all the people who don't know it get all miffed

Genetic engineering is fine... when you understand it. Problem is, most scientists will say that they don't fully understand it, hence the concern.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 08-09-2008 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
*checks if i am still in the land of reality*

Now we just have to go through all this again when they use it fully in October.

Anyway, that Black Hole noncense was just media hype, The real threat is STRANGE MATTER.

# 9 09-09-2008 , 03:56 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Its not as if protons have never been collided before at high speeds
Nothing bad will come of it I think

# 10 09-09-2008 , 07:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Lets face it we could all do something far more useful with the amount of money they spent on this, 5 billion!!

all this 'God' particle crap, why do they have to bring religion into it. Plus the cell that could cure cancer etc, c'mon they have to learn to harness all this stuff let alone find out all this stuff.

Spend the money on getting rid of poverty and help those people have a decent life same with the money spent on the Olympics what a waste!!

anyway I think ol Stephen Hawking would float by: I....Love...Black...holes....

Jay

# 11 09-09-2008 , 07:44 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 12 09-09-2008 , 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Jay
Spend the money on getting rid of poverty and help those people have a decent life same with the money spent on the Olympics what a waste!!
Jay

Greed and arrogance will always put a monkey wrench in that, there are too many people who break their backs but they keep getting their necks stepped on by people who really don't need more wealth. In perfect world Jay, in a perfect world.

- Genny
# 13 09-09-2008 , 09:45 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Very true Gen. People like us, no wonder my neck hurts!!! and I thought it was a bad seating position in front of the monitor. You nailed it in one!!

I'll keep my rose tinted glasses on though to make me feel better LOL

for now....
Jay

# 14 09-09-2008 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Lets face it we could all do something far more useful with the amount of money they spent on this, 5 billion!!

all this 'God' particle crap, why do they have to bring religion into it. Plus the cell that could cure cancer etc, c'mon they have to learn to harness all this stuff let alone find out all this stuff.

Im gonna have to dissagree with you on this my good man.

Quote from wiki

"It is funded by and built in collaboration with over eight thousand physicists from over eighty-five countries as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories"

It seems to me that the people funding it where using most of their own money which probably wouldn't have gone to the needy anyway (which is a shame but unfortunatley most people have higher priorities). But i'd rather money go to a cause like this instead of being pumped into the war.

As for the God particle i think another quote from wiki should help

"The Higgs boson or BEH Mechanism, popularised as the "God Particle", is a hypothetical massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics; and is the only Standard Model particle not yet observed"

So i dont think it has anything to do with religeon.

And lastly "c'mon they have to learn to harness all this stuff let alone find out all this stuff."

That could be said about anything, A master guitar player dosn't just pick up a guitar one day, stand up and start thrashing out solo's. He has to learn how to harness the potential Power of the guitar, put time and effort into it and then reap the rewards.

It is experiments and projects like this that let them take a big step in the right direction. I dont think people would be basing their whole careers around this experiment if they where unsure if anything good would come of it.

I can understand why people are sceptical about big projects like this, there have been too many times when people where let down by scientific experiments not working. But there still have been scientific breakthroughs from time to time so i am staying optomistic about this one.

But each person is entitled to their own opinions user added image

Last edited by Some Guy; 09-09-2008 at 10:11 AM.
# 15 09-09-2008 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
Some Guy brings up a good point with the whole war thing

people only unite when there is war or some kind of conflict and once that's over they go one their own busy little lives (or lack of or some) until the next time disaster strikes

it's nice to see people uniting for something other than conflicts... it hardly ever happens

it would be funny if nothing happened... it would be sad but funny...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D