Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 07-10-2008 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber

How to start with animation - planning stage

Hello!

I was just thinking of making animation short, for 3 mins or so, and am not yet completly sure what it will be.

So i was wondering, what is the best way to start planning the animation? Do you first write down the script, then make drawings, etc? Is there any app that can help you in this stage?

tnx for help!

# 2 07-10-2008 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
definitely you need a script. (i cant use maya unless i know what im going to do before i turn it on.) then you need the drawings (storyboard). then you need an animatic (look that up on google).., you can 'pop' the animation so the timing is correct.., that is all keys are flat and the animation will 'jump' from one key to the next rather than the usual linear fashion, 'popping' the animation will give you an idea of the timing. you could always try and silhouette it to see if it has strong composition.

you need patience and time, a good schedule would not go astray, and try and stick to it.., be realistic.

Muser added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 07-10-2008 , 03:52 PM
Yup allways start script, its tempting to go to visuals very early on but dont, you will waist time.

Come up with a load of ideas, simple premises to begin with. Somthing that can be summed up in a single line.

Once you have a premise you like script out somthing rough, just some simple story beats definning the basic structure and key moments. Show them around and get opinions, once you feel happy with that, flesh out the script properly.

I would advise buying a book on writing for animation, there are a couple out there. There are books on what makes a good short as well. Think about empathy, mood, pace etc etc.

After doing this research alot alot alot on anything that could be usefull to the project and do some rough designs, just somthing that is good enough to read in a storyboard, i tend to refine everything after storyboards completed, i find i usually want to make changes after that stage is compleated.

Once you have the rough design done you can start storyboarding, buy the book shot by shot, its fantastic for laying out your shots. This again is another whole big big topic. But generally start small, think about what your trying to convey at this stage, what do you need to establish what is the center of action.

For storyboarding ill start on postick notes so i can do really rough drawings i can move around freely on a wall.

Once im happy with the roughs ill do it in photoshop for a 'readable version', then ill cut the images togeather in an editing program so i can see if the story flows, also adding rough sounds at this stage.

If that all checks out, ill refine the character and work on shot design.Shot design is perfecting any rough scenes in the animatic, checking rule of thirds, that the eye reads well across the shot etc.

Ill then sketch up orthographics for modelling, research anything that i will need for production so there is no ambiguity.

You can then hit production. Do lots of tests before the real thing, save yourself time in the long run. Do performance research as well, thumbnail out the motions.

For a three minuite short with all original content, looking awesome, it will take you a long while. The last film i did was 5 minuites long, took 6 months and was done by two people. If you want to save yourself the pain, make it SIMPLE user added image good luck, put WIPs up.

(sorry for repeated info )

# 4 07-10-2008 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
ok thank a lot man!