Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-11-2008 , 02:54 AM

Animation bouncy balls(1000) with maya

Animation bouncy balls(1000) with maya

hi everyone,

I am trying animate 100s of bouncy balls, I animate 5 balls, and looks great, the way they jump and hit the ground and jump again, but now I got 100s of this balls. I cant really animate manually 1 by 1 this balls, takes to much time , I thought maybe there is way to animate all of the balls together or apply the same effect to them with script or some tools or maybe with maya dynamics(particle from object), I had a link but i lost it,
maybe you can help me to find out how can i animate this balls with maya dynamics,

here the video link to know what exactly I mean,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnTePNYHzc4&NR=1

please if you know something say something.

any link tutorials welcome

regards

# 2 20-11-2008 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
make a particle emitter (just an emitter or do it from an object, whichever one is going to work for you)

then select the particles and add a gravity field

make your stairs or whatever they will bounce off and go Soft/Rigid Bodies > Create Passive Rigid Body
select the particles, shift select the stairs, and go particle>make collide

and the particles will collide with the stairs and bounce

although, doing just that wont get you the effect of what you see in the video but it's a start

you can change the particles to spheres and give it a per particle colour (requires an expression i think)

you can change the friction of the stairs

ummm, not too sure where to go from ther, you'll notice that the spheres will intersect with the stairs though, i think you can change that somewhere, something to do with an offset attribute in the connection between the particles and stairs.

uhhh, i would point you to a tutorial but i dont actually know any...
you could try searching for
particle emitter rigid body collision tutorial
that could help?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 20-11-2008 , 01:48 AM
The Nurb Herd
could you not do a duplicate special on the 5 balls you have animated?

(you have to check the box that says "duplicate input graph" in dup spec)

# 4 20-11-2008 , 03:48 AM
thanks guys for replay and advice, I'll try what you guys said,
any link or tutorials welcome

# 5 20-11-2008 , 07:00 AM
thanks chirone and hammer for replay.
I know how to make this kind of particle and boucing but the question is how do this particles end up to this shape or position like in the image, I want them jump and bounce and at the end they turn or stop bouncing like this logo

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 20-11-2008 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber
how did you make that? did you actually make it out of actual geometry?

you could look into creating goals Particles > Goal

that may or may not help you.

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 7 20-11-2008 , 07:49 AM
well I create particles and than I select the particles and shift select my own geo balls (polygon balls) than particle -instanter or replacement, in this way all particles turn to this balls or any other shape that you want to replace with, could be a car or building as well, it is going to be replace with the particles,

but now it is looks good and bouncing good as well, but how the balls they are going to stick to the logo(circle) that is the question. because now i can not key ball(particles) 1 by 1,

any idea guys, I dont want do manually 1 by 1 key frame every balls, it is to hard take alot of time and stress,

well about the copy they key of one of them and paste the key to the others (that is what mr hammer says) it is not going to work, because the balls has to end up all on different position. if it is just jumping or bouncing yes it is works, but when they turn to this shape no .

any more idea guys?
remember this technique has been used in sony bavaria tv commercials, it is amazing dynamic effect.
but sony Bavaria they used millions real balls to create this effects, they could use maya easily, imagine how did they clean up all the balls?

# 8 20-11-2008 , 08:28 AM
Subscriber
by the looks of your screen shot you may be able to make a circle and create an emitter for it that emits from the vertices or control points (depends on what you're emitting from)

and with your balls you can just make them bounce towards the circle (maybe use the circle as a goal) and when they get there they vanish

so then the circle emitter then starts to emit spheres

so you have two seperate emitters....

it could work, although i dont know about the pattern you have drawn on there...

i bet there's another way... some way to like make your logo as a texture and have the particles collide with the surface and the texture starts to appear...

although, i currently have no idea how this would be done

# 9 20-11-2008 , 08:58 AM
make them bounce towards the circle? that is what i am trying to figur it out, how can I bounce the balls toward the circle and there they stick to around cirlce to create this logo animation.

remember this balls are particle and with poly object instanter

look at the imgae and see what I mean,

Attached Thumbnails