Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-03-2009 , 07:40 AM

add groups in layers

Hello everybody,

I am very new to maya and trying to learn from the book'Mastering maya 8.5'

Problem:

I create two polygon primitives for eg. cylinder and cone. I group them together and call it say 'AbcGroup'. I then create a layer and name it "AbcLayer'.

Then i open outliner window , select the group'Abcgroup' then right click on'AbcLayer' and then select 'Add selected objects.

Now in the outliner when i select the group name i can see the layer name in the inputs in Chanel box. When i select individual objects that are part of the group like cylinder then i dont see the layer name in the inputs of cylinder. Same for the cone.

I believe when i select the object i should be able to see the layer name in the inputs of that object.

Please help me.

Regards
Mahesh

# 2 02-03-2009 , 01:31 PM
Thats perfectly normal, the two primatives are children of the parent group node and will therefore inherent attributes. For example if turn the visability of the group node off both the children will also become invisible.

Anything you want to do with your layer will function as expected.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 02-03-2009 , 04:34 PM
Hi,

Thank you Lauriepriest for giving your valuable time and for the prompt reply.

I understand what are you trying to say. But i have got stuck at one point in this book' Mastering maya 8.5'.

If you have this book can you try the lesson in page 68 under Nodes and Hypergraph.

When i try this lesson on my computer i get the hypergraph view as shown in figure 2.17 but when i select the object 'HammerHead' and then click on inputoutput connections i dont see the node 'HammerLayer' as shown in figure 2.18.

I have spent almost 4 complete days to find out where i am missing.

If i open the readymade scenes 'step3.mb' provided in the cd that comes with the book then i see the inputoutput connections as shown in the book.

Please try if u have this book. I dont know anybody who can help me other than this forum.

Thanks and regards,
Mahesh

# 4 04-03-2009 , 11:36 AM
The person has probably just selected the objects individually and not as a group and then added them to the layer. Dont worry about followings books like these to the detail.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 04-03-2009 , 11:55 AM
Thanks a ton Lauriepriest

Appreciate ur help

Thanks again

Mahesh